1988 Band

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Came across this while searching Youtube for the 2020 Disney performance.

I prefer the marching style from this era over the current. What do you think?

NDNmom91

500+ Posts
Ran across
Came across this while searching Youtube for the 2020 Disney performance.

I prefer the marching style from this era over the current. What do you think?

Stumbled across your post while I was looking up videos from when I was in band to show my son...he’s a Junior in band this year! . This was my Sophomore year...we kicked butt...got 5th in State! . Yeah, I prefer this style too, but of course this was when bands were judged primarily on musicality and marching! Now the emphasis seems to be a lot more about the “show” and who has the best “theatrics” and props! They have choreographers for the bands now days...times have definitely changed...lol!

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
1988-1989, back when the Indianettes had 75+ girls participating, 10 or 12 twirlers, flags, a loud band blaring out good music, and no one thought that the name Indians was insensitive. Back when the masses celebrated the headdresses and pageantry of PN-G. Times have changed...for the worse.

Go INDIANS! Peace.

PNG NDN Fan

1,000+ Posts
Staff member
What marching band has become more about today is about competing and developing shows that appeal to the adjudicators. These shows are difficult to perform both in terms of the music itself and drill design, but in many instances the are not what the “popcorn munchers” (as Mr. A would say) would find entertaining. The shows between the late 80s into the early 2000s were probably the best in terms of broadness of their appeal, there were also some really good brass sections during that time. A good military style band is fun to watch as well, but it is relatively simple for the the performers perspective with a lot of “follow the leader” :)

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
This unit just seems to have more volume, energy and precision than modern bands. It’s like watching a college band. Maybe a larger brass section accounts for the volume?

48 Indianettes on the field in this video. In 2019 there were about 38 members.

PNG NDN Fan

1,000+ Posts
Staff member
Bigger brass section with good players. Also, this recording is of better quality since there are multiple mics involved.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (0-0)
at
Klein Oak Panthers (0-0)

Friday, Aug. 30, 7:00PM

Klein Memorial Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores