Hot Take: RJ should transfer to A&M

90NDN

500+ Posts
At this point, I think it's pretty clear RJ is not going to see that much playing time with Heisman hopeful Robinson in the backfield....that much is apparent with how little he is on the field these days. If not A&M, then a team that will need a RB. It's a shame that he was wasted with the entrance of Sark.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
At this point, I think it's pretty clear RJ is not going to see that much playing time with Heisman hopeful Robinson in the backfield....that much is apparent with how little he is on the field these days. If not A&M, then a team that will need a RB. It's a shame that he was wasted with the entrance of Sark.
I agree. I don’t care much for Sarkisian based on what I’ve seen. He’s given up on Hudson Card and RJ primarily just goes in to block if the QB needs more protection since none of their other backs could block a grandmother. Sarkisian plays favorites and he’s not been much of a play caller or game manager to this point. Never thought this day would come but my interest in the Texas Longhorns is fading. They can keep their pompous attitudes and continue in mediocrity. In reality they are a second tier program regardless of their heisman hopes. If RJ goes to another school I’m rooting for them.

NDNzeke

1,000+ Posts
Texas laid another egg today. RJ with 4 carries for 17 yards.
And effective on each of those carries. If the coaching staff had a smidgen of brains, they would also occasionally call a play where he throws the ball out of the wildcat. A few effective passes in those situations would make him an even more effective runner from that formation.

I have thought for a long time that his skills were being wasted by the horns and that a transfer would enhance his chances of making it to the NFL. Although his loyalty to UT is certainly admirable, there are more than a few good teams where he would be likely to have instant success as a RB or even a QB (UH immediately comes to mind, as he would represent a big improvement for them at either position).

90NDN

500+ Posts
Another game and another seldom used RJ...not that I'm surprised. They mentioned on the telecast how he was a leader at least.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Apparently they don’t have a coaching leader that can recognize player leaders. I don’t see how RJ maintains his positive attitude. Most would be discouraged by the mismanagement. Hotshot Bijan Robinson shows no leader qualities and doesn’t pick up many yards himself with no blocking. Perhaps if Texas would use RJ in a manner that he’s not running into an unblocked line of scrimmage every play, or out there just to block, he would have a much better average per carry. Like it is he’s still averaging over 6 ypc this season and 5.5 ypc career and is in the top 35 or 40 of all-time UT backs. That is in an underutilized backup role.

90NDN

500+ Posts
I agree 100%. It's just a very sad state of affairs at UT right now. They are always getting top talent and that talent is either under utilized, or not coached well. There is no reason why Texas should be not in the top 15 to 20 in the nation. They fired Herman and they are no better off than when he was here and possibly worse off.

90NDN

500+ Posts
Hopefully RJ will get lots of touches now that Bijan is out for the year...granted only a few games left.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Texas will continue to push the other Robinson, who has butterfingers and is too small, and the freshman Brooks or whatever his name is.

The reality is RJ needs to explode for big runs more often to better establish his playing time.

NDNzeke

1,000+ Posts
Texas will continue to push the other Robinson, who has butterfingers and is too small, and the freshman Brooks or whatever his name is.

The reality is RJ needs to explode for big runs more often to better establish his playing time.
Hard to do with limited touches and inconsistent, if not lousy, OL.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
I don’t doubt RJ’s talent and heart for a moment. But yesterday made me realize that while he is a solid football player who can do great things. he does not possess the burst of speed and quickness at the D1 level that really makes a back stand out. He still averages 5-6 yards per carry which is pretty damn good. But it’s tough for him to really claim a lot of playing time and accolades without making more big plays. Wishing him the best and still proud that he is representing PNG at that level. And proud of the character and leadership that he displays.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (0-0)
at
Klein Oak Panthers (0-0)

Friday, Aug. 30, 7:00PM

Klein Memorial Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores