Sound System Upgrade?

Justafan

2,000+ Posts
I am sorry bankid but this is how Cherokee should be started. Listen to the drums. Also ask Mr. Wells to play the War Chant more. It needs to be played right after the National Anthem during the coin flip. Do you know how intimidating that is to the other team to walk towards the middle of the field with thousands of fans doing the chop???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2NfR83P1bI&feature=player_embedded

bandkid

Staff member
Justafan said:
I am sorry bankid but this is how Cherokee should be started. Listen to the drums. Also ask Mr. Wells to play the War Chant more. It needs to be played right after the National Anthem during the coin flip. Do you know how intimidating that is to the other team to walk towards the middle of the field with thousands of fans doing the chop???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2NfR83P1bI&feature=player_embedded

We don't play War Chant as much as we used to because it seemed like every time we did so at the Livingston and Nederland games, something bad happened. One of the section leaders pointed it out and we held off on it for a few games. It's PN-G. Superstition rules.

And I think that's how Cherokee should be as well. There was a thread on the Nederland board not too long ago about how much lower their band's volume is now as compared to twenty or thirty years ago. It's just a different animal. Do you play like Central and earn a 4 at contest or try and go for the 1?

The band is blasting during Cherokee. Trust me. I know. I'm in the middle of it, and I'm blasting, too. We just weren't trained to play quite that loud, and that obviously hasn't been the case in a while. Wells has told us to play loud more than once (at the Ozen game, he literally jumped up two rows and screamed "really, really loud" in the second round of overtime). It's just a different world. I'm sorry. I'm doing my best.

Red Raider Mom

bandkid said:
And I think that's how Cherokee should be as well. There was a thread on the Nederland board not too long ago about how much lower their band's volume is now as compared to twenty or thirty years ago. It's just a different animal. Do you play like Central and earn a 4 at contest or try and go for the 1?

It worked back then. Fans were happy and judges were happy. I know it is different now but obviously Mr Wells it having a great deal of trouble with both. We need someone that can take our band program in the right direction. Our football team dominates the field why not the band?

bandkid said:
It's just a different world. I'm sorry. I'm doing my best.

I am sure that you are doing your best and you deserve the best.

attakapandn

100+ Posts
If the scoreboard was the barrier that bounced the sound maybe we should build like a wall of honor on that side. Put the names of the student that makes aer state , championship year info on the wall etc .

bandkid

Staff member
Red Raider Mom said:
It worked back then. Fans were happy and judges were happy. I know it is different now but obviously Mr Wells it having a great deal of trouble with both. We need someone that can take our band program in the right direction. Our football team dominates the field why not the band?

Many of the former band members on this site have said multiple times that the competitions of 20 or 30 years ago are not the competitions of today (quotes posted below).

NDNmom91 said:
I just think the judges are looking for more drama and theatrical than they were then. I didn't really care for this years choice but I don't think it deserved a 2 either...unless they were looking at theatrics more than sound..and that would be a shame IMO!

PNG NDN Fan said:
Just been the evolution of the art. We moved from military in the 70s (moving mainly east/west) to milicorp in the early 80s (east/west and north/south) to where we are today (north/south). The band wants to "win" too, and in order to try to compete at the highest level and try to advance in competition (district/regional/state), they need the creative shows. Judges just don't seem to care for for military style anymore.

Obviously, a different kind of competition calls for a different kind of band director and band than the ones of those days.

Let this band cycle out all of the students who didn't have band directors all the way through middle school (which is in no way their fault) and watch. This band is going to hit its stride in a few years - I can see it coming. The underclassmen in the band now have far more talent as a group than my class did when we were underclassmen, and the band has consistently improved every year since then. I'd be willing to bet that, if things continue as they are now, you will see a band program that has surpassed the likes of Nederland, Vidor, Lumberton, and LC-M and is competing with some of those rich Houston bands within the next five years or so.

NDN X

100+ Posts
bandkid said:
NDN X said:
I was told by someone who knows that the band is not allowed to play any louder than the tubas can play. Director also stress quality not quantity. I can understand that for musical pieces, but for Cherokee....they just need to play!

That was the case at one time, but is not any longer, and has not been since the 2008 football season. We've been told on multiple occasions to blast our guts out since then, and we're doing it (much more so this year than in years past).

To be honest, the acoustics in the new stadium are terrible. As it was said earlier, we can be heard in other stadiums. Our stadium just doesn't have acoustics that are favorable to the band on the home side.

Sorry about the wrong info on my part, just repeating what a band parent told me this year. Loved halftime last week against BH and cant wait to see it this Sat. Heard it was gonna be fun!

MOM2INDIANS

500+ Posts
Why is our band on the Bottom at the Butch and the other bands on the home side are on the top? Not complaining...just wondering. We can here great from our seat on the top.

bandkid

Staff member
MOM2INDIANS said:
Why is our band on the Bottom at the Butch and the other bands on the home side are on the top? Not complaining...just wondering. We can here great from our seat on the top.

That's why.

Justafan

2,000+ Posts
Bandkid, seriuosly think about playing the war chant right when the other team comes to the middle of the field for the coin flip!!!!!!!!!!

bandkid

Staff member
Justafan said:
Bandkid, seriuosly think about playing the war chant right when the other team comes to the middle of the field for the coin flip!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not sure that the band directors would go for that. That might be considered unsportsmanlike....

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (0-0)
at
Klein Oak Panthers (0-0)

Friday, Aug. 30, 7:00PM

Klein Memorial Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores