Track and Field

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Nominate your choices for the all-time greatest Indian or Lady Indian track & field athletes. When listing your selection please include qualifications (all-American, all-state, all-district, passing record, rushing record, etc)

PNGFan01

Jacie Droddy. Many of her school records will probably never be broken. Including 100m, 200m, Long Jump. Also part of 4x100 and 4x200 record setting teams. Qualified for State her sophmore, junior and senior seasons. Currently sprinting and long jumping for Texas A&M .PNG has had many incredibly talented female athletes in its history.

Last edited:

IndianTaxPayer

100+ Posts
Will need to research the names; the Men's Track Teams of the mid 60s had records that might still be school records, and in the yearly 90s had the first Cross Country Team from PNG History Qualify to compete in the Regional Cross Country Meet. Also, Summer of 1992 had a male finish first place in the District Long Jump, 400M, another male had first place in Pole Vault, and another male was either first or second in the 300M Hurdles.

None those were easy with district at that time.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Also had a great high jumper about 10 years ago.

Here’s some great reading re speed athletes.

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
Pat Abel, class of 1988, set a record for high jumping at PN-G. I think it was 6'10" or 6'11"? Gold or silver medal at the UIL state meet. Good basketball player and high jumper, and even a better guy...great guy.

bandkid

Staff member
Pat Abel, class of 1988, set a record for high jumping at PN-G. I think it was 6'10" or 6'11"? Gold or silver medal at the UIL state meet. Good basketball player and high jumper, and even a better guy...great guy.

Had him for health class in high school. He coached the basketball team at that time. I believe he’s since gone into administration. Great dude.

Indian99

500+ Posts
Had him for health class in high school. He coached the basketball team at that time. I believe he’s since gone into administration. Great dude.

Nope, still teaching health at the high school. My daughter had him this past year, hard to believe the years have gone by so fast!

Last edited:

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting fact. Koby Trahan ran an 11.58 100m In 2021. Thats equivalent to a 10.59 100 yard dash. Not Bergeron or Simpson speed but pretty impressive for a back his size.

PNGFan01

I watched Pat Abel dunk taking off from the free throw line. He was known as "Air Abel" back in the day. He could flat jump! Was unreal.

Guys speed? Ron "McGill" Chatagnier was mid 10's in the 100m. Regularly. I used to go watch their track meets. I'm convinced his 40 time was legit 4.3s. I knew a high school football official that said they called a meeting to warn people that if they were calling a PNG game to back up because before they knew what happened Ron would be through the hole and on top of them.... Girls, Jacie Droddy hands down. All time record in the 100m for the lady's was 13.6. She ran a 11.7. I believe she was low 12s in 8th grade. LJ record was in the 16s, she jumped 19 something. 200m record was 26s, she ran 24s. Wasn't barely breaking records. Was a sight to see. I've been a long time track and field fan. Have seen some fast ones come through but those two are the tops I've seen since the early 80's anyhow.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (0-0)
at
Klein Oak Panthers (0-0)

Friday, Aug. 30, 7:00PM

Klein Memorial Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores