20 Win Seasons

NDNzeke

1,000+ Posts
Guarnere was pitcher for CGSO. Indians have 20 plus wins for 6th consecutive full season (not counting covid shorted 2020), which is a first in PNG baseball history.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Guarnere was pitcher for CGSO. Indians have 20 plus wins for 6th consecutive full season (not counting covid shorted 2020), which is a first in PNG baseball history.

Does anyone have the 2015 season record? The history page may have an incorrect record.

NDNzeke

1,000+ Posts
The listed record does seem suspect given the overall accomplishments of that team and how far they advanced in the playoffs. Additionally, I have been able to determine that they were swept in the area round, meaning that their record would have to have been 14-4 going into that round. Seems unlikely that a team with only 4 losses at that point in the season would have only 14 wins at that point. However, I have not been able to find anything about the final 2015 season record online other that what is listed on pngindians.com. I got the info about the “6th straight 20+ wins” season from the pngbaseball twitter site, so I assumed that the info was correct. We may need to depend on info from a team member, coach, or someone else who closely followed the team that year to determine the actual record for that year.

In any case, the info on the history section of pngindians.com does not even list any other instance of 5 straight (full) seasons of 20+ wins.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
The listed record does seem suspect given the overall accomplishments of that team and how far they advanced in the playoffs. Additionally, I have been able to determine that they were swept in the area round, meaning that their record would have to have been 14-4 going into that round. Seems unlikely that a team with only 4 losses at that point in the season would have only 14 wins at that point. However, I have not been able to find anything about the final 2015 season record online other that what is listed on pngindians.com. I got the info about the “6th straight 20+ wins” season from the pngbaseball twitter site, so I assumed that the info was correct. We may need to depend on info from a team member, coach, or someone else who closely followed the team that year to determine the actual record for that year.

In any case, the info on the history section of pngindians.com does not even list any other instance of 5 straight (full) seasons of 20+ wins.

In 2015 the regular season record was 14-6, 12-2 in district play. It doesn’t include playoff wins and losses.

The other season records should be correct with 20+ wins in ‘16, ‘17, ‘18, ‘19 and of course this season. 2015 will be adjusted when the record is clear.

NDNzeke

1,000+ Posts
In 2015 the regular season record was 14-6, 12-2 in district play. It doesn’t include playoff wins and losses.

The other season records should be correct with 20+ wins in ‘16, ‘17, ‘18, ‘19 and of course this season. 2015 will be adjusted when the record is clear.
Most likely won 2 games in bi-district round, which would result in final record of either 16-8 or 16-9. However, a wild card involves the record in preseason tournaments, which tend to be very hard to locate and are often misreported on various websites in my experience.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
May, 2015... more research to follow.

"In district 22-5A, the Port Neches-Grove Indians (18-5,10-2) have a one-game lead over Lumberton, Nederland (15-11, 9-3) and Goose Creek Memorial (15-6, 9-3) with two games to go.

The Indians have already clinched a playoff spot and need to win their final two games against Central and Vidor to secure their first district title since 2012.

"It feels good to control our destiny," Indians head coach Scott Carter said. "We definitely like our position, but our mindset is to win both games because if we slip up we could be as low as a third seed heading into the playoffs."

NDNzeke

1,000+ Posts
If the info above is correct, a 20 win season in 2015 appears to be a virtual certainty. If our district record ended up 12-2 we did win those last two games, as well as winning at least one game in bi-district and most likely 2.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
I have already updated the baseball history page. Amazingly, PN-G teams have had 20+ wins per season in 16 of the past 23 seasons.

2015 Playoff record was 2-3.

Bi-District
Barbers Hill 7, PN-G 4
PN-G 15, Barbers Hill 12
PN-G 10 ,Barbers Hill 0

Area
Ridge Point 9, PN-G 1
Ridge Point 2, PN-G 0

NDNzeke

1,000+ Posts
I have already updated the baseball history page. Amazingly, PN-G teams have had 20+ wins per season in 16 of the past 23 seasons.

2015 Playoff record was 2-3.

Bi-District
Barbers Hill 7, PN-G 4
PN-G 15, Barbers Hill 12
PN-G 10 ,Barbers Hill 0

Area
Ridge Point 9, PN-G 1
Ridge Point 2, PN-G 0
And 1 of the seasons where this did not occur was not a full season (truncated by covid). Truely a period of consistent excellence under coaches Stone, Brevell. and Carter.

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
Thanks to both of you guys for sharing the info about PN-G baseball. What a run of excellence! The 2021 team is going to shock the world and beat Friendswood! PN-G has a special spirit...pass it on! Go Indians. Peace.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Baseball, soccer, golf, volleyball... they may not draw as many fans but those programs have been just as successful as football if not more.

NDNzeke

1,000+ Posts
Lady Indians soccer results have been particularly amazing in their consistency. Now if we could just get over that hump....

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
I'm not surprised by the success of PN-G. It is impressive to read about the 20 year run in baseball, the success of Lady Indian soccer, etc. I'm biased, I get that...but, even detractors of PN-G have to agree that the Indians have had, and continue to have, well-rounded and successful athletic programs. Football, volleyball (the era of Coach Comeaux was legendary for nearly 50 years), baseball, softball, boys and girls soccer, and PN-G golf. Combined with the success of the athletic programs, there has been academic successes from Pre-K through grade 12 for decades. You will not get a better education than what is offered by the PN-GISD. The admins and teachers will see to that. They care, they work, and it shows. Add to that community support. All of those factors come together for nearly 100 years of Honor, Pride, and Tradition. In the seventies, there was a painting in the foyer of the auditorium. It was the State of Texas. Inside the state was written PN-G...the Home of State Champions. In the eighties, Dr. Warner told us over and over again that PN-G had rock solid core values of Honor, Pride, and Tradition and it was our responsibility to carry them forward for the next generation of Indians. I'd say PN-G students, teachers, admins, and the residents of Port Neches and Groves have been very successful carrying forward Honor, Pride, and Tradition. That is why when outsiders laugh or mock PN-G and its tradition, it is easy to walk away...we are PN-G...and you're not. Does PN-G offer swimming and wrestling? I see more and more high schools in the Houston area offering swimming and wrestling. Has that carried over to southeast Texas? Here's to 2021 football being a great season!

Go Indians. Peace.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
It all points back to the community and parenting. High standards and preaching a work ethic. High expectations from parents and teachers.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Little known fact - the 1999 kids went to state in football and baseball (2000 team). Second place is the story of our lives!
I was there. Baseball is a game of inches. A hit ball just over a glove, and some uncharacteristic defensive errors did in the Indians. Should have won that game.

snowbird

2012 Baseball team went 25-5 with an undefeated district championship. Lost 2 to a very good Barbers Hill team and lost 2 in the area round to Montgomery team that played for the State championship. Fun team to watch! Nelson, Graham, Guidry, Bertrand, Sparrow, Ward, Clark, Foster

Last edited:

NDNzeke

1,000+ Posts
Barring us squeaking into the playoffs this year, then unexpectedly making a very long playoff run, it looks like the streak of 20 win seasons will end this year. However, the team is set up for a very good year next year provided coach Carter sticks around.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (0-0)
at
Klein Oak Panthers (0-0)

Friday, Aug. 30, 7:00PM

Klein Memorial Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores