Astros v. Rangers (2023 ALCS)

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
Anyone want to discuss the ALCS? As I type this, it's Game 4, Rangers lead the series 2-1.

In Game 4, it is now the top of the 5th inning with the Astros leading 7-3. Let's go ASTROS! Any Rangers' fans that visit the PN-G message board?

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
Indian99, I hope that you are right. I'm worried about today's game (Game 5). The Astros have been great on the road, and Justin Verlander is a future first ballot HOF'er, but the Rangers seem to have his number. He pitched well in Game 1 and the Rangers only scored two runs against him, but they hit the ball and put it in play in Game 1. On the flip side, the Astros did not do much against Jordan Montgomery. I hope the Astros' bats stay hot. I've got my i-Pad fully charged and ready to watch the game this afternoon. I won't be very productive at work this afternoon. Go Astros! I sure would like for the Astros to come back to Houston up 3-2.

NDNzeke

1,000+ Posts
Indian99, I hope that you are right. I'm worried about today's game (Game 5). The Astros have been great on the road, and Justin Verlander is a future first ballot HOF'er, but the Rangers seem to have his number. He pitched well in Game 1 and the Rangers only scored two runs against him, but they hit the ball and put it in play in Game 1. On the flip side, the Astros did not do much against Jordan Montgomery. I hope the Astros' bats stay hot. I've got my i-Pad fully charged and ready to watch the game this afternoon. I won't be very productive at work this afternoon. Go Astros! I sure would like for the Astros to come back to Houston up 3-2.
Got your wish (and mine).

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
What's the vibe? Astros in 6? Can the Rangers overcome Altuve's gut punch and force a pressure packed game 7? The Rangers' Nathan Eovaldi will be a tough, hard throwing starter. I hope Framber Valdez finds his old mojo and the Astros' bats stay hot. Go Astros!

NDNzeke

1,000+ Posts
Astros have been about 50% successful at home this season, so we should be able to win at least one of these games and take the series. I hope it is the first one.

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
The Astros win in spite of Dusty Baker, not because of him. He completely mismanaged the last four innings of Game 6. Rafael Montero should not even be on the playoff roster, much less on the pitcher's mound. Framber Valdez has not been good for the past month, he is not a #2 starter in the playoffs, he had a horrible Game 2, and yet, Dusty Baker runs him out for Game 6. To top it all off, we pinch hit Singleton for Pena? It would be nice if Kyle Tucker would wake up and join the rest of the team. I would not re-sign Valdez after this season. Dana Brown is clueless. He gave Montero 3 years and $34M instead of letting him walk, so I'm guessing he will resign Valdez to a dumb contract. Let Valdez go and focus on resigning Tucker. I'm not optimistic about Game 7. Dusty Baker has a knack for snatching defeat from the jaws of victory and Christian Javier pitches better on the road vs at Minute Maid. He's prone to give up Crawford Box souvenirs.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
The Astros win in spite of Dusty Baker, not because of him. He completely mismanaged the last four innings of Game 6. Rafael Montero should not even be on the playoff roster, much less on the pitcher's mound. Framber Valdez has not been good for the past month, he is not a #2 starter in the playoffs, he had a horrible Game 2, and yet, Dusty Baker runs him out for Game 6. To top it all off, we pinch hit Singleton for Pena? It would be nice if Kyle Tucker would wake up and join the rest of the team. I would not re-sign Valdez after this season. Dana Brown is clueless. He gave Montero 3 years and $34M instead of letting him walk, so I'm guessing he will resign Valdez to a dumb contract. Let Valdez go and focus on resigning Tucker. I'm not optimistic about Game 7. Dusty Baker has a knack for snatching defeat from the jaws of victory and Christian Javier pitches better on the road vs at Minute Maid. He's prone to give up Crawford Box souvenirs.
It remains a mystery why the Astros perform so poorly in Minutemaid Park. They’ve lost something like 20 of their last 30 played there.

Or why Kyle Tucker has lost all confidence when at bat. He went form superstar to a liability at the plate. His swing even looks hesitant and unnatural now like he’s not really seeing the ball.

Peña has also failed to produce hits this season and is a shadow of 2022. The same could be said for several Astros stars last night as well. Is the Rangers pitching that good?

No doubt that Valdez should have never touched the mound last night. He is no longer a reliable pitcher right now for whatever reason but Baker continues to have faith rhat he’ll come around.

But regardless of the pitching, if the Astros hitters don’t wake up and punch in those base runners, a good team will beat them every time.

NDNzeke

1,000+ Posts
It remains a mystery why the Astros perform so poorly in Minutemaid Park. They’ve lost something like 20 of their last 30 played there.

Or why Kyle Tucker has lost all confidence when at bat. He went form superstar to a liability at the plate. His swing even looks hesitant and unnatural now like he’s not really seeing the ball.

Peña has also failed to produce hits this season and is a shadow of 2022. The same could be said for several Astros stars last night as well. Is the Rangers pitching that good?

No doubt that Valdez should have never touched the mound last night. He is no longer a reliable pitcher right now for whatever reason but Baker continues to have faith rhat he’ll come around.

But regardless of the pitching, if the Astros hitters don’t wake up and punch in those base runners, a good team will beat them every time.
I put the Astros chances of success tonight at slightly less than 50-50, only slightly better than their 40-46 record at home this season. I think Javier has a decent chance to pitch a good game, so I think their ability to pull it off will mostly depend on whether or not they can generate any offense. Their poor record at home clearly has to be primarily due to mental factors (what else could it be!), so I think our only hope is that they can somehow clear that hurdle.

Last edited:

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
The Astros hitters claim they like playing in Arlington because they see the ball really well there. Could the opposite be true at Minutemaid? Surely if that were the case they would make whatever modifications to improve the background. It MUST be mental.

NDNzeke

1,000+ Posts
The Astros hitters claim they like playing in Arlington because they see the ball really well there. Could the opposite be true at Minutemaid? Surely if that were the case they would make whatever modifications to improve the background. It MUST be mental.
The same (for the most part) hitters apparently saw the ball great at Minutemaid last year, as they had a great record at home last year. Definitely some type of mental factor. The same thing happened to them during the WS series against Washington, when they became the only WS team in history to lose all 4 home games. Hopefully history will not repeat itself in this CS. I think the main thing that could avert a repeat would be if they could get off to a quick start on offense, as they need to BELIEVE the “curse” is broken.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Looking like Choke City rather than Clutch City. Embarrassing and disappointing for Astros fans.

Too many key players failed to produce.

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
Hopefully Dusty Baker retires and Joe Espada will be named manager. Say adios to Framber Valdez, Ryne Stanek, and Phil Maton. Focus on resigning Kyle Tucker. Do you resign Michael Brantley? Maybe a 1-year deal if he will take it? The sad things are (1) Rafael Montero is signed for two more years, (2) Maldonado is signed through the end of 2024, and (3) Lance McCullers gets to keep stealing money from Houston through 2027 (Unbelievable !!!). Get rid of Jake Meyers, play Dubon in CF, move McCormack to LF/platoon with Yordan Alvarez when Alvarez is not at DH, and start Diaz as your everyday catcher. Verlander is your #1, go with Brown and France in the rotation, and go find two more pitchers. The Altuve-era is on the downhill side of things. He's 33. We can't count on him to be Superman with Alvarez past 2024. Lots to think about over the winter.

NDNzeke

1,000+ Posts
Choke city Indeed. Virtually no pitching and not enough offense to make up for the pitching disaster. As concerned as I was about the offense (at least at home), I never expected the pitching to thoroughly collapse like it did during the last two games. I am a long time Astros fan, and this series definitely leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Nevertheless, I will be pulling for the Rangers in the WS. Hopefully the Astros can rebuild starting with a number of members of the pitching staff.

Last edited:

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Tough pill to swallow. How the Astros could not win 1 of 2 at home with everything on the line will remain a mystery. They would have taken the D-Backs and established themselves as a true dynasty.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (0-0)
at
Klein Oak Panthers (0-0)

Friday, Aug. 30, 7:00PM

Klein Memorial Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores