concerned

sittingbull

The past few nights I have been getting into a walking routine out at the stadium track. It is nice to have it open in the evening to allow those trying to shed some pounds the opportunity to do so. I do have a concern about those that are out there not using the track. Last night for example there were 10 young kids playing on the field, on the pole vault mats, and some football equipment. The part that really concerns me were their parents sitting on the sideline benches watching them. If your kids are looking for a place to play/hang out take them to the park!! There also seems to be kids playing soccer or ultimate Frisbee there every night as well. Apparently the signs posted to stay off the field just aren't enough. The school district has spent alot of money making The Reservation what it is today. I am afraid that something is going to get broke/ruined and they will close it off to the public for good. Just hoping the few don't ruin it for the many.

purplewarrior

Chief Touch The Clouds
Maybe they should lock the gate I would think the track would wear out also if they are worried about wear and tear.

Proud Band Mom

100+ Posts
No please don't kick us walkers out! :thud: :thud: :thud: The track is wonderful and beats walking on the sidewalk any day!

For the most part, I have seen the frisbee players who play both football and baseball frisbee on many nights, especially during summer. They did not appear to cause any damage whatsoever. Most of them were currently in high school - one group was high school kids who were in their church group. Some of the football players were out there playing football frisbee. None have ever left their garbage on the field. As for the walkers and runners we have all been polite and respectful of the track as far as I know.

I haven't actually seen the young kids playing on the equipment on any of the nights I have walked. You're right they do need to stay off of that so it isn't a liability issue or so they aren't hurt. I really hope we are allowed to remain as walkers, runners and frisbee players though. It's very gracious of our ISD, high school administration staff and Coach Faircloth to allow us to use it. I do realize it is our tax dollars that pay for it but you know, we do that for the kids not for the public. We pay for the cafeteria and the library and don't expect access to that. So I'm grateful they let us have access and I hope they continue to do so.

purplewarrior

Chief Touch The Clouds
I would love to continue to use the facility also. My point was that not all walkers abide by the rules posted either by walking on the outside lanes I personally don't see why it can't be used if respected.

carzan

500+ Posts
The frisbee players are the PNG YoungLife Group. I believe they have permission to use the field. Would you rather our communities youth be out riding around and getting into trouble? It seems to me that the fact that they have a place to gather and play a sport as a group where there is no alcohol and there is others around is a good thing. I haven't heard of any destruction caused or any vandalism.

yankeedawg

500+ Posts
carzan said:
The frisbee players are the PNG YoungLife Group. I believe they have permission to use the field. Would you rather our communities youth be out riding around and getting into trouble? It seems to me that the fact that they have a place to gather and play a sport as a group where there is no alcohol and there is others around is a good thing. I haven't heard of any destruction caused or any vandalism.

Good post carzan...my son has played ultimate frisbee on the field many times with kids from both Nederland and PN-G. I feel much better knowing where he is and what he is doing than having to wonder and worry about him. As far as I'm aware, these are all good kids who wouldn't destruct/damage property or do anything else illegal or mischivious. All they want is a place to get together and play their game.

carzan

500+ Posts
Thanks Yankeedawg, I forgot to mention that those are Big Ned kids too! PNG youngLife has a significant number of kids from that other town. ;)

sittingbull

All I'm really stating is that it just takes ONE thing to happen out there (food and drink on the field, equipment being played on, or even worse an injury) for the district to close it to the public for good. The sign before you walk into the gates specifically states to stay OFF the field. I've seen all kinds of fast food bags empty bottles and misc trash left on the field as well as the football and track equipment played on by young and old kids alike. There are plenty of fields and parks around town for them to play on. YoungLife or not, I would just rather them stay off the multi million dollar piece of property so they do not ruin for the majority.

NDN NATION

100+ Posts
If they were given permission what does it matter? So what you are saying is, that since the whole place is a multi million dollar facility then the walkers and runners should stay off the track also so as not to ruin it.

pngsup

carzan said:

I know that kids from my own church, college kids and random others that go out and play on the field. Just because they are hanging out with young life or another group at the football field that they can't get in trouble. I AM NOT SAYING THIS IS EVERY KID OUT THERE. I know plenty of kids that go out there (young life or otherwise) that have been drinking, among other things prior to or after being at young life events, school events etc. Walk down the high school halls and listend to them talk.

I don't think it matters who is out there, everyone should have respect for everything out there. It could easily be closed to all if equipment (by young people or adults) were being broken. In the first post it stated young kids, I would take that to mean under the age of 10. I think that is a whole different age bracket.

purplewarrior

Chief Touch The Clouds
The sign says to only walk on the outside lanes and some of the people that walk don't abide by those rules either! I think the stands after a game look terrible after a game every time we go for a home game our seats have a sticky mess on them.More issues than just a few kids playing on the field.Maybe the walkers should find a public track at a local park to walk.

sittingbull

purplewarrior: I'm not sure I follow you. Are you saying that by someone walking in the wrong lane of the track gets your stadium seat sticky?? My understanding is that they want walkers in the "outside" lanes so they will not get in the way of the people choosing to run/jog on the "inside" lanes. I'm not sure how you can compare walking in the wrong lane with playing and jumping on the pole vault mats or running through the football equipment or leaving trash on the field. Please help me understand...

purplewarrior

Chief Touch The Clouds
I could be wrong but walking the outside lanes leaves less wear and tear on inside lanes.There are holes in the track already. there are people who do not respect the stadium in all areas not just the field My point is what is the difference in kids using the facilities and adults that do not respect the stadium? It's not just kids disrespecting the stadium and if that is the case maybe it should be locked.

sittingbull

Well...I do believe we will have to agree to disagree on the issue of the track usage, but I tend to get you on the whole its not just the kids that need to follow the rules out there. Wouldn't it be nice if everyone just followed the rules. Clean up after yourself, pick up after yourself, make sure you left it the way it was when you got there. The whole "your momma doesnt work here" statment works well. In my fisrt post it was the parents of those kids I was upset with the most. I can atest to the sticky seats as well. Who is actually resposible for cleaning after freshmand and jv games anyway??

pngfan93

1,000+ Posts
purplewarrior said:
I could be wrong but walking the outside lanes leaves less wear and tear on inside lanes.There are holes in the track already. there are people who do not respect the stadium in all areas not just the field My point is what is the difference in kids using the facilities and adults that do not respect the stadium? It's not just kids disrespecting the stadium and if that is the case maybe it should be locked.

Wow. I haven't noticed holes. If so, surely some kind of warranty should fix it. Seems to me, when we put in the purple track, we sued the company until they went out of business because tof the things they messed up.

bandkid

Staff member
Maybe we can put some trash cans on the field with a sign that says "Please Keep Our Stadium Clean" or something to that effect. Two or three trash cans strategically placed on opposite ends of the stands might do wonders if there really is a trash problem on the field.

NDN NATION

100+ Posts
pngfan93 said:
purplewarrior said:

Wow. I haven't noticed holes. If so, surely some kind of warranty should fix it. Seems to me, when we put in the purple track, we sued the company until they went out of business because tof the things they messed up.

I have noticed holes on the track also when the wife and I go and run. I have never noticed any trash on the field. There is normally one trash can on the home side on the field.

PNG NDN Fan

1,000+ Posts
Staff member
If there are holes in the track I would think those might be from track shoes which are not typically worn by people running for exercise and certainly not worn by walkers.

I won't get into justifying one behavior with another, but personally I think there is an element of respect involved; i.e. if a group wants to use the field, obtain permission.
If an open field is necessary for activities there are (from what I can recall) plenty of areas around the high school for that purpose, at least during daylight hours. (band practice field, field next to tennis courts etc.)

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (0-0)
at
Klein Oak Panthers (0-0)

Friday, Aug. 30, 7:00PM

Klein Memorial Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores