Football - Defense

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Nominate your choices for the all-time greatest defensive players. When listing your selection please include qualifications (all-American, all-state, all-district, records, etc)

NONS81

Pick a Miller -

Don, JC, Dan, Bruce and Shaun - all were atleast All-District. Some all State and if I am not mistaken, Don and Dan were All-American.

EX79NDN

100+ Posts
1976-77 State Semi Finalist Team
(I know some of these listed played offensive and some played defense, but it is easier for me to list them all together by years and teams):
Jackie Havard- 22-4A Most Valuable Player, Defensive Player of the Year, All-State, Golden Triangle Super Team
Mark Lawson- All-District
Howard Kern- All-District
Jeff Cooley- All-District
Carl Bellotti- All-District, Golden Triangle Super Team
Blake Green- All-District, All-State, Golden Triangle Super Team
Carl Griffith- All-District, Offensive Player of the Year, All-State
Richy Ethridge- All-District, Second Team All-State
Kevin Landry- All-District
Ted Brack- All-District, Golden Triangle Super Team, All-State
Ronnie Golmon- All-District, Golden Triangle supre Team, All-State
Coach Doug Etheridge- Coach of The Year

1977-78 State Semi Finalists Team:
Robert DeRutte- All-District, Super Team, All-State
Justin Eicher- All-District, Offensive Playre Of the Year, Super Team, All-State
James Shipley- Second Team All-State
Ronnie Delcambre- All-District, Super Team, All-State
Bruse Miller- All-District, Super Team, All-State
Jeff Cooley- All-District, Super Team, All-State
Howard Kern- All-District, Super Team, All-State
Mark Moss- All-District, Super Team, Second Team All-State
Ted Brack- All-District Defensive Player of the Year, Enterprise Most Valuable Player, Super team, All-State
Clint Lough- All-District
Coach Doug Etherirdge- Coach of The Year
(The nine All State Selections were an all-time high for PNG)

1978-79 Team-
Ronnie Landrum- First team All-District
Lance Barnett- First team All-District, The News Super 22
Gerrit Achord- First team All-District
David Fry- First team All-District, E-J Super Gold Team
Ron Harvey- First team All-District, The News Super 22

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Indian99

500+ Posts
The whole 99' defense made All-District, I believe.

1st Team:

Jay Domingue - DL, Super Team
CJ Blier - DL
Trayce Boudoin - ILB, All State
Chris Gohlke - FS, Super Team
Shawn Lang - OLB, Super Team, All State

2nd Team:

Justin Mercer -DE
Michael Brignac - DE
Cody Clark - ILB
Jared Hanks - OLB
Thomas Baxter - CB
Jeremy Neeb - CB

pngfanatic

100+ Posts
I may be biased since I graduated with Randy Lee back in 1968, but he's at the top of my list of PNG linebackers. I remember him as tackling machine with a lot of big hits. Here are his credentials:

Randy Lee (1966-67) - Middle Linebacker, 1967 Dave Campbell Super Team, 1967 1st Team All-State, Starting Linebacker at Rice for 2 years and Offensive Guard for 1 season (after a serious knee injury).
His bio from DCTF -
RANDY LEE, Port Neches-Groves 6-1, 192, senior. Among the best in a splendid crop of prep linebackers, also works at tackle. "A great football player," testifies coach Ken Watson. "He has size, speed, agility, strength and loves to hit". Literally a destructive tackler, Lee smashed 4 sets of shoulder pads as a junior. An outstanding team player, honor student.

pngfanatic

100+ Posts
Lance VanZandt played on the 1955 state champion team and was an all-district end in 1956. However, he's more famous as a defensive football coach at Nebraska, Alabama, Texas A&M, Oklahoma State, Kansas, Texas Tech, along with the NFL’s New Orleans Saints and St. Louis Cardinals. He passed away in 2008.

pngfanatic

100+ Posts
Robert Hall was a dominant defensive lineman back in the mid-60s. He was big for that time (210 lbs) and fast (ran a 10.9 100). All District and 2nd team All State in 1965, and played against the Pennsylvania All Stars on the Texas Big 33 team. He later started at defensive tackle for UH.

Mark Binagia 89 ndns

What about Brad Burnett?
As an Indian football player and Coach; Brad Burnett was a Beast and an Animal constantly unstoppable on the Defensive Line. When he coached the 89 season as defensive line coach he groomed greats like Scott Lawson David Whitehead Vince Chisholm and Ends David Satcher and Mark Binagia! I can still hear him screaming you whooped em before they could get there hands on you and if they do you got to get pissed off and explode through em you got to bow up bow up and knock their face mask off.! Man Coach Burnett would fire up the whole defense with his enthusiasm that made us players execute to perfection with a high level of enthusiasm! Coach Burnett was one of the best Defensive lineman to have ever have played for the Indians probably top 3 of all time I’d say number one but I don’t know his statistics

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (0-0)
at
Klein Oak Panthers (0-0)

Friday, Aug. 30, 7:00PM

Klein Memorial Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores