Is Roschon Johnson the Best Backup RB in the Country?

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
What I find mind boggling is how writers still tout Whittington and K. Robinson as ‘better’ players and even higher draft prospects. Whittington has done little in 3 seasons at Texas. K. Robison is fast but is not all that. All RJ does is produce by running the ball, excellent pass blocking, catch every ball thrown to him, and an option as the wildcat QB. Oh, and he is the respected leader of the team and an example to all of how to prepare and play. I’d take Roschon over both the other two combined.

NDNzeke

1,000+ Posts
One of the best articles I have seen about RJ (outside of articles by some area writers) in terms of giving him the respect he is due. Also mentions, as I have been saying for some time, the need to incorporate his passing abilities into the game plan. It is inexplicable to me how this has not been yet recognized as the powerful unused weapon that the horns have at their disposal.

NDNzeke

1,000+ Posts
What I find mind boggling is how writers still tout Whittington and K. Robinson as ‘better’ players and even higher draft prospects. Whittington has done little in 3 seasons at Texas. K. Robison is fast but is not all that. All RJ does is produce by running the ball, excellent pass blocking, catch every ball thrown to him, and an option as the wildcat QB. Oh, and he is the respected leader of the team and an example to all of how to prepare and play. I’d take Roschon over both the other two combined.
Agree 100%

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
One of the best articles I have seen about RJ (outside of articles by some area writers) in terms of giving him the respect he is due. Also mentions, as I have been saying for some time, the need to incorporate his passing abilities into the game plan. It is inexplicable to me how this has not been yet recognized as the powerful unused weapon that the horns have at their disposal.
Texas Longhorn fan all my life. Some
of my earliest memories are attending and watching them play. But for the last couple of decades I have realized that’s the school where great high school players go to become irrelevant. Sure they’ve had some superstars but that pales in comparison of those that have failed to achieve their potential.

NDNzeke

1,000+ Posts
Texas Longhorn fan all my life. Some
of my earliest memories are attending and watching them play. But for the last couple of decades I have realized that’s the school where great high school players go to become irrelevant. Sure they’ve had some superstars but that pales in comparison of those that have failed to achieve their potential.
Also a lifelong horns fan. Unfortunately, so was RJ from what I have heard, and his strong character traits of loyalty and determination also probably contributed to his decision to stick with the team rather than transfer as I think he should have done. However, those same character traits (among others), as well as his undeniable abilities, also make him an attractive NFL prospect and IMO will result in him being an exception to the general fate of longhorn recruits.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Contrast that with Dustin Long who was a lifelong Aggie fan and dreamed of playing for A&M. But I don’t fault Long for transferring because he was really slighted when Slocum promoted Reggie McNeal to the starting position. Slocum did it to save his own job and to satisfy those wanting McNeal to start for a team that was well led by Long, but lacking talent in most other areas. Every situation is different but I greatly respect Long and Johnson for their talents and commitment.

NDNzeke

1,000+ Posts
Contrast that with Dustin Long who was a lifelong Aggie fan and dreamed of playing for A&M. But I don’t fault Long for transferring because he was really slighted when Slocum promoted Reggie McNeal to the starting position. Slocum did it to save his own job and to satisfy those wanting McNeal to start for a team that was well led by Long, but lacking talent in most other areas. Every situation is different but I greatly respect Long and Johnson for their talents and commitment.
Long absolutely made the
right decision and proved it with his performance at SHSU. He would have also done well in the NFL if he was ever given the chance.

bandkid

Staff member
I could write a book about the problems plaguing UT. What you see on the field is a reflection of what’s going on across the campus.

I’ll keep it short. Texas A&M is on the cusp of becoming the state’s flagship university. I think the Aggies are already there, personally. The public just hasn’t fully recognized it yet.

And before diehard Longhorns get their feathers ruffled, I never attended A&M, didn’t grow up rooting for A&M, never even applied to A&M, and hold a degree from UT. I work in higher ed policy and see everything going on behind the scenes. If the public had any idea, they’d tear that campus apart, brick by brick.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
I could write a book about the problems plaguing UT. What you see on the field is a reflection of what’s going on across the campus.

I’ll keep it short. Texas A&M is on the cusp of becoming the state’s flagship university. I think the Aggies are already there, personally. The public just hasn’t fully recognized it yet.

And before diehard Longhorns get their feathers ruffled, I never attended A&M, didn’t grow up rooting for A&M, never even applied to A&M, and hold a degree from UT. I work in higher ed policy and see everything going on behind the scenes. If the public had any idea, they’d tear that campus apart, brick by brick.
I would imagine the same ridiculous policies and views that are shaping Austin and every other ultra liberal city are behind UT’s demise. Such as non-merit based admissions and kowtowing to ridiculous controversies like the Eyes of Texas. On the other hand A&M is more aligned with values that made this a great state and nation. At least they are trying to hang on to them.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (0-0)
at
Klein Oak Panthers (0-0)

Friday, Aug. 30, 7:00PM

Klein Memorial Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores