Isaiah Nguyen, Reid Richard - NOMINEES FOR THE WRS AWARD

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
One of the most underrated players I can ever remember at PNG. Maybe because of his size, but he was a phenomenal RB, and not only because he was running behind good offensive lines. He was a fearless, hard running back who often broke tackles. He was noticeably affected or missed a few games due to the bad ankle. No telling how many yards he might have had if not.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Offensive finalists

• Silsbee receiver Drelon Miller
  • Lumberton quarterback Lucas Powell
  • Port Neches-Groves running back Isaiah Nguyen
  • Newton quarterback Hieko Malone

Isaiah Nguyen was a 2000+ yard running back on the state championship team. A vital cog in the offense. As Coach Joseph said, without Isaiah the Indians would have not had the opportunity to even play for a championship. And he has been a spark plug in that offense for 2 seasons. No other player on that list deserves the award more.

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
Offensive finalists

• Silsbee receiver Drelon Miller
  • Lumberton quarterback Lucas Powell
  • Port Neches-Groves running back Isaiah Nguyen
  • Newton quarterback Hieko Malone

Isaiah Nguyen was a 2000+ yard running back on the state championship team. A vital cog in the offense. As Coach Joseph said, without Isaiah the Indians would have not had the opportunity to even play for a championship. And he has been a spark plug in that offense for 2 seasons. No other player on that list deserves the award more.
I agree 100%...and the most impressive stat to me is 300+ carries and ZERO fumbles. The Texas City, Lake Creek, Huntsville, and SOC games were physical slugfests and he never put the ball on the ground. Impressive.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah. Presenting the award to the guy that won last year because he won it last year is a non-starter. All value indicators point to Nguyen being the most outstanding offensive player.

NDNzeke

1,000+ Posts
I agree 100%...and the most impressive stat to me is 300+ carries and ZERO fumbles. The Texas City, Lake Creek, Huntsville, and SOC games were physical slugfests and he never put the ball on the ground. Impressive.

The fumble rate (0 in his case) is not likely to be focused on much by less knowledgeable football fans. But serious followers of the game know that this statistic is an often under appreciated but supremely important statistic for a running back. In several of the aforementioned games, even ONE turnover (or additional turnover as the case may be) could have very well ended our SC hopes. And a low fumble rate is particularly impressive for dynamic runners like Isaiah that break a lot of tackles and gain a lot of yardage after first contact.

Usedtocould

1,000+ Posts
The fumble rate (0 in his case) is not likely to be focused on much by less knowledgeable football fans. But serious followers of the game know that this statistic is an often under appreciated but supremely important statistic for a running back. In several of the aforementioned games, even ONE turnover (or additional turnover as the case may be) could have very well ended our SC hopes. And a low fumble rate is particularly impressive for dynamic runners like Isaiah that break a lot of tackles and gain a lot of yardage after first contact.
Yes and in BIG games where we’re playing with a lead and they were stripping the ball for most of the second half

They constantly underestimated him

Usedtocould

1,000+ Posts
Exactly
I responded before I saw you basically said what I repeated

He “won” (or helped secure the win) in many games this year.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
That’s a surprise since the Beaumont newspaper failed to list Richard in the initial article.

Edit: The article above listed finalists only. The total number of nominees was anpparently too numerous to mention. Regardless, Reid Richard was deserving given his contributions over the past season.

Speaking for myself, Nguyen not winning the offensive award pretty much puts a big question mark on the value of that award going forward.

Last edited:

PNG Proud

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
Agreed. I really thought he was a shoe-in. But then again, the Bmt. area seems to try NOT to include PNG in it's accolades.

bandkid

Staff member
That’s a surprise since the Beaumont newspaper failed to list Richard in the initial article.

Edit: The article above listed finalists only. The total number of nominees was anpparently too numerous to mention. Regardless, Reid Richard was deserving given his contributions over the past season.

Speaking for myself, Nguyen not winning the offensive award pretty much puts a big question mark on the value of that award going forward.

Nothing against the kid from Newton. I'm sure he's an outstanding player and deserving of many accolades.

But how do you pass up on a kid Nguyen's size who rushed for as many yards and touchdowns as he did playing for a large school team that won a Texas state championship?

Last edited:

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (0-0)
at
Klein Oak Panthers (0-0)

Friday, Aug. 30, 7:00PM

Klein Memorial Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores