New Coach

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for sharing the info.

PNG is a great place to have baseball opps for Coach Hooker. Maybe he has a shot at taking over someday.

PNG has a history of the elite baseball talent not choosing to play football. Or at least some of them. Not all. I wonder if we’ll see more of that as Carter can focus on the program year round now.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Here’s his 2019 bio from Boswell.

JACOB HOOKER
ASSISTANT COACH
BIO
Jacob Hooker is the new Head Baseball Coach of Boswell High School and assistant football coach. Coach Hooker comes to Boswell from Big Sandy High School in Dallardsville, TX. Coach Hooker is an alumnus of Texas State University in San Marcos, TX. There, he obtained a Bachelor of Exercise Sports Sciences, with a Minor in history.
Before coming to Boswell, Hooker served as the varsity baseball coach for Big Sandy Baseball. Under his leadership, Coach Hooker brought back-to-back UIL State Championships in 2018 and 2019 to Dallardsville with a cumulative record of 132-21-2 during his tenure there.
Jacob and his wife, Johnna have been married for 8 years. Together, they have a daughter Josi.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Excerpt:

Brandon Faircloth, PNG athletic director and head football coach, said Hooker will join the school’s athletic program as the assistant baseball coach and also work on the football staff.

“He brings a lot of experience,” Faircloth said. “He is a wonderful football coach. He is wonderful baseball coach. Anytime you can add someone, who has achieved the highest success and add them to your athletic program, it only helps us get better. We are very excited about him. He brings great energy and enthusiasm. He is going to help us get better.”

Carter said he is excited about the addition.

“We wanted someone who understands the game,” he said. “We wanted to hire someone that can come in and help the program and I think we did that with Jacob Hooker… He brings a lot of knowledge.”

The hire was made after Norman Abshere, assistant baseball coach, announced he would step away from athletics, Carter said.

We are definitely going to miss Coach Abshere,” Carter said. “He is going to concentrate more on family. I support him, but I am going to miss him. I hate that he is stepping away. We are definitely going to miss Coach Abshere.”

Hooker said he is anxious to get started.

“I am ready to work at that school with the school spirit,” he said. “I want to be a part of the tradition of the football and baseball programs. The selling point for me was that I have a 2-year-old and 5-month-old. After I watched that game in 2005, I want my kids to go through that. I want my kids to experience that type of atmosphere. The education there, along with the tradition, is unmatched in the state.”

Last edited:

NDNzeke

1,000+ Posts

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
PN-G making some strategic moves with this hire. Proven winner comes on the staff to replace a great assistant coach who is leaving. New coach has the pedigree and winning record to be next in line for the head baseball coach position for the eventual day that Coach Carter wants to retire. And he’s a good football coach as well. Win, win, win. Good move AD Faircloth.

NDNzeke

1,000+ Posts
PN-G making some strategic moves with this hire. Proven winner comes on the staff to replace a great assistant coach who is leaving. New coach has the pedigree and winning record to be next in line for the head baseball coach position for the eventual day that Coach Carter wants to retire. And he’s a good football coach as well. Win, win, win. Good move AD Faircloth.
I was thinking the same thing, particularly since he mentioned viewing Coach Carter as a mentor. At the same time, it gives Coach Carter a chance to focus more on baseball.

areacode337

Coach Carter is not leaving football. Not sure who thinks they got this from Carter but you might want to revisit. I have it on good authority that Carter will be in football.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
I always consider anything as heresay until it’s officially announced. But anything said by someone here was done with good intent. Words travel fast in the community.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (0-0)
at
Klein Oak Panthers (0-0)

Friday, Aug. 30, 7:00PM

Klein Memorial Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores