Other High School Renovations

PNG1992

Port Neches, TEXAS
pngfan93 said:
I just talked to a school board member while I was at the stadium taking pictures. They have overcome the deficit, and are sitting even again.

Im glad they are keeping the old gym and IMO its still better than the new one. If they had done it right they would have originally refurbished it and used the money for the new one in other places.

When he/she told you they were "sitting even again" does that include not working the baseball or softball fields as someone posted on here a couple weeks ago? I also thought the original plan was to tear down the old/new senior wing of the HS, is that still going to happen? These aren't meant to be sarcastic questions, I really want to know.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
The proposed additions to the rest of he athletic facilities are on the pngisd site. Other changes in the high school plans are shown as well.

http://png.schoolfusion.us/modules/groups/homepagefiles/cms/446867/File/Bond/PNGHS_VE-06-19-08_Final.pdf?sessionid=8e6cd316e37cd28bcb081f5ee0617b9d

pngfan93

1,000+ Posts
web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

pngfan93

1,000+ Posts
They are breaking ground on the new wing for the high school. It is going to eat up some of the current parking.

bandkid

Staff member
I would like to say this much about the planetarium:

The best memories I have of elementary school are the annual trips to the planetarium. You can ask just about any of the current high school students and they'll tell you the same thing. I can also remember the community shows. The astronomy teacher would charge something like $5 a person and the money went into the science budget. In addition, they had schools coming from as far away as Jasper to use that planetarium, all of whom paid to use it. That planetarium's value wasnt just educational, it was monetary. The fact that it is being torn down is one of the few things that I would change about this bond if I had the power to do so.

I.... We will miss that planetarium.

EX79NDN

100+ Posts
They started to build the planetarium my senior year. It was built where the old "patio" off the cafeteria was. The patio was a place everyone hung out at after lunch. That is also where the Totem Pole was located. I remember I hated to see the patio being tore up for the Planetarium. Mr. Shoemaker (Johnny Red as some students called him) was over the Planetarium. He at one time was one of my science teachers, before the planetarium days.

squaw

1,000+ Posts
In the olden days, the patio area was where students went to smoke after lunch. You could also go off campus for lunch if you wanted to. The teachers would use a paddle, also, when you didn't follow school rules. Students learned back then whether they wanted to or not. PN was even more cosmopolitan. PN had two movie theatres, three clothing establishments, a bicycle shop, two car dealerships, a paint store, a lumber yard, a furniture store, and many other businesses. Oh, I love this progress we've made.

bandkid

Staff member
The upperclassmen are still allowed to leave the campus for lunch.

The cafeteria still has a patio. Its the outdoor area between the cafeteria and the library.

I didnt know that Port Neches had all that stuff. And now we're down to a bunch of fast food joints and a grocery store. The only recreational thing you can do is fish. :fish:

OldEagle

500+ Posts
There was a Western Auto at the East end of Port Neches Ave. Remember back in the 70's maybe there was a house behind Western Auto where an image of Jesus appeared on a screen door. There was actually traffic jams in downtown PN from people coming to view Jesus.

EX79NDN

100+ Posts
OldEagle said:
There was a Western Auto at the East end of Port Neches Ave. Remember back in the 70's maybe there was a house behind Western Auto where an image of Jesus appeared on a screen door. There was actually traffic jams in downtown PN from people coming to view Jesus.

O, yes. Now I remember that. My mother still has some Polaroid shots of that image in a photo album

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
OldEagle said:

Yep. I saw the screen door that had the image but I was a young kid and wasn't quite sure about what I was seeing. I remember that the grass was completely gone after all the crowds had trampled it.

The Western Auto building is still there. I also remember my parents buying carpet from Buddy Porter's store that was downtown. Man I miss the old days when times were so simple yet complete. :eek:ld:

PNG Proud

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
IndianFan said:
OldEagle said:

Yep. I saw the screen door that had the image but I was a young kid and wasn't quite sure about what I was seeing. I remember that the grass was completely gone after all the crowds had trampled it.

The Western Auto building is still there. I also remember my parents buying carpet from Buddy Porter's store that was downtown. Man I miss the old days when times were so simple yet complete. :eek:ld:

Ya know, now that you mention it, I seem to remember that carpet store too. And I used to live across the street from the Neches Theater, and Gordon Chevrolet. There was also "Caraway's", the night club/bar. And my house was right down the street from the Souther Union Gas co., and I delivered papers for the free local paper, the "Shopper's Guide" (we couldn't throw it either, we had to hand deliver it to the front door). And of course Walter's Hardware....If he didn't have it, you didn't need it!

Justafan

2,000+ Posts
Anyone have any idea when there going to start the construction projects (Tennis courts, baseball and softball)?

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
PNG Proud said:
IndianFan said:
OldEagle said:

Ya know, now that you mention it, I seem to remember that carpet store too.

;D

pngfan93

1,000+ Posts
Justafan said:
Anyone have any idea when there going to start the construction projects (Tennis courts, baseball and softball)?

Been wondering the same thing. Now that those seasons are getting started, It'll probably have to wait until summer at the earliest.

PNG Proud

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
Are they still part of the plans? I've heard NOTHING about the other improvements, only the stadium.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (0-0)
at
Klein Oak Panthers (0-0)

Friday, Aug. 30, 7:00PM

Klein Memorial Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores