PN-G Spirit Recognized By Many

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Despite the criticism of individuals that despise PN-G, the same energy and magic that makes goose bumps rise on a PN-G alumnus when hey hear Cherokee decades later also is recognized by many others. Here's one example...

"I grew up in Pasadena,Texas area and I remember in 1975 when I was in 7th grade my intermediate coach at South Houston Intermediate would take us to see the Trojans of South Houston High School at the Pasadena memorial stadium and it was there in 1975 that I first saw the PNG INDIANS play football and I was completely amazed that your side of the stadium had MORE FANS than the home team and I just couldn’t believe you all would drive all the way to Pasadena for a football game.The other thing that really won my heart for PNG Football was the dancing Indian Cherokee fight song.THAT WAS REAL.And I felt it was REAL.Not just a fight song but a calling forth of warrior spirits to rise up from the dead and fight with the PNG INDIANS FOOTBALL TEAM.And you went on to WIN STATE in that same year of 1975.(My intermediate school has the mascot of the Indians and I’m trying to get them to adopt CHEROKEE as their fight song in MEMORIAM of 1975.6-27-20)"

PN-G Has A Special Spirit... Pass It On.

PNGIndian75

100+ Posts
I remember that, if my memory is correct, PNG was preseason # 1 ranked and lost to South Houston 16-17 in the 3rd game of the season in the game described above. Then beat them in the playoffs 32-7 on their way to a 14-1 record and State Championship win over perennial power Odessa Permian 20-10. I was at all 3 games as that was my Senior year. What a great team, they called them the 'mini-Indians' because of their small size but they had big Hearts and knew how to hustle and play defense.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
I remember that, if my memory is correct, PNG was preseason # 1 ranked and lost to South Houston 16-17 in the 3rd game of the season in the game described above. Then beat them in the playoffs 32-7 on their way to a 14-1 record and State Championship win over perennial power Odessa Permian 20-10. I was at all 3 games as that was my Senior year. What a great team, they called them the 'mini-Indians' because of their small size but they had big Hearts and knew how to hustle and play defense.

There were quite a few very LARGE dudes on that '75 team that might have taken offense if anyone called them a mini Indian, but you're right, they had a lot of 150-170 pounders playing key roles. :D

PNGIndian75

100+ Posts
There were quite a few very LARGE dudes on that '75 team that might have taken offense if anyone called them a mini Indian, but you're right, they had a lot of 150-170 pounders playing key roles. :D
I was just quoting several sports papers that said the same thing I did. I know I graduated with Matt Burnett who was on that team and was not small and very versatile. Loved that guy and still do to this day. But they beat a lot of teams in the playoffs who were bigger, stronger and faster than our defense, but it didn't stop us from stopping them. That is the point I was trying to make. If I offended anyone, I will cancel my membership here and get my PNG news elsewhere.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
I was just quoting several sports papers that said the same thing I did. I know I graduated with Matt Burnett who was on that team and was not small and very versatile. Loved that guy and still do to this day. But they beat a lot of teams in the playoffs who were bigger, stronger and faster than our defense, but it didn't stop us from stopping them. That is the point I was trying to make. If I offended anyone, I will cancel my membership here and get my PNG news elsewhere.

I see! Yes, the ‘74 team was small, especially on the line. ‘75 had a few bigger guys like Kyle Aguillard, Carl Dautrive, Carl Belloti, Leo Goldberg, Von Robinson, Wilson Weber, Ronnie Golman, even Richy Ethridge was a pretty big guy for the times. Those were 200-225 pound warriors.

I was just kidding around on anyone being offended. No one would be offended here and your posts are always appreciated. You’re right that PNG teams were almost always smaller than opponents in the 70’s.

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
The 1974 PN-G Indians are an overlooked group of champions. They may not have had size, but they had scrappy street fighters. They had the best defense in the history of PN-G football. By the end of 1974, no one was moving the football on PN-G. They lost the game in the Astrodome to Brazosport because of two INTs by David Hodge. It wasn't because the defense gave up points. If you could pair the 1974 defense with the 1977 offense, it would be an undefeated state and national championship team.

Usedtocould

1,000+ Posts
Despite the criticism of individuals that despise PN-G, the same energy and magic that makes goose bumps rise on a PN-G alumnus when hey hear Cherokee decades later also is recognized by many others. Here's one example...

"I grew up in Pasadena,Texas area and I remember in 1975 when I was in 7th grade my intermediate coach at South Houston Intermediate would take us to see the Trojans of South Houston High School at the Pasadena memorial stadium and it was there in 1975 that I first saw the PNG INDIANS play football and I was completely amazed that your side of the stadium had MORE FANS than the home team and I just couldn’t believe you all would drive all the way to Pasadena for a football game.The other thing that really won my heart for PNG Football was the dancing Indian Cherokee fight song.THAT WAS REAL.And I felt it was REAL.Not just a fight song but a calling forth of warrior spirits to rise up from the dead and fight with the PNG INDIANS FOOTBALL TEAM.And you went on to WIN STATE in that same year of 1975.(My intermediate school has the mascot of the Indians and I’m trying to get them to adopt CHEROKEE as their fight song in MEMORIAM of 1975.6-27-20)"

PN-G Has A Special Spirit... Pass It On.
Gave me goose bumps.

PNGIndian75

100+ Posts
I see! Yes, the ‘74 team was small, especially on the line. ‘75 had a few bigger guys like Kyle Aguillard, Carl Dautrive, Carl Belloti, Leo Goldberg, Von Robinson, Wilson Weber, Ronnie Golman, even Richy Ethridge was a pretty big guy for the times. Those were 200-225 pound warriors.

I was just kidding around on anyone being offended. No one would be offended here and your posts are always appreciated. You’re right that PNG teams were almost always smaller than opponents in the 70’s.
IndianFan, you are probably correct, the term 'Mini-Indians' was probably associated with the '74 team and not the '75 team. It's been a long time ago. But I do know that it was mentioned in the media and I was just bringing up the point being out manned against Houston Kashmere and others did not keep us from winning because of our quickness and versatility. I love the site and what you folks have done with it. Thank you!!!

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (0-0)
at
Klein Oak Panthers (0-0)

Friday, Aug. 30, 7:00PM

Klein Memorial Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores