Port Neches-Groves, Nederland enter season’s final week in battle for 4th seed, playoff berth

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Entering the final week of the season, the Port Neches-Groves and Nederland baseball teams are battling for the fourth and final playoff spot in District 21-5A.

Both teams entered the final week of district play tied for fourth with games on Tuesday and Friday.

Both teams are playing against teams ranked higher in the district. PNG plays Galena Park, while the Bulldogs take on Barbers Hill.

PNG Coach Scott Carter said regardless how the week ends, he is proud of his team.

“I’d love to get a sweep and put us into a great situation,” he said. “I just want us to come out and play good baseball. That is the main thing. We just want to play good baseball and see what happens. We are excited to get a chance and be in the hunt here at the end.”

“Whether we get in or don’t, the experience is going to be great,” he said. “Don’t get me wrong, we want to get in… The guys have done a great job this year of growing up and becoming a team. They have great chemistry and these are things that make good baseball teams. We played a gauntlet schedule with some young guys who were stepping into a varsity situation for the first time.”

……

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
This will probably come down to a tie breaker just like the softball teams. Appears that the former district 21 teams are stronger in baseball and softball than the perennial leaders from old district 22.

Barbers Hill has a tremendous all around athletic program.

NDNzeke

1,000+ Posts
This will probably come down to a tie breaker just like the softball teams. Appears that the former district 21 teams are stronger in baseball and softball than the perennial leaders from old district 22.

Barbers Hill has a tremendous all around athletic program.
If we get the W against GP, and the dogs lose to BH, no need for a tie breaker. That is what I am hoping for. If we lose to GP, then the dogs knock us out by beating BH.

NDNzeke

1,000+ Posts
Well, we both lost so its a tie after all. We play the dogs at noon tomorrow in Bridge City to determine who advances.

NDNzeke

1,000+ Posts
Dogs win it 5-1, so season is over. Pretty good season for a young team, with a few notable upsets. Bodes well for a successful season next year. However, it stings to get ousted by the dogs.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Dogs win it 5-1, so season is over. Pretty good season for a young team, with a few notable upsets. Bodes well for a successful season next year. However, it stings to get ousted by the dogs.
Nederland will probably go down quickly in the playoffs.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (0-0)
at
Klein Oak Panthers (0-0)

Friday, Aug. 30, 7:00PM

Klein Memorial Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores