RJ

Usedtocould

1,000+ Posts
I believe Jansen Ware is the real deal
I would offer him a scholarship if I was a coach at a college. Solely based on height/weight ratio and speed/athleticism . (But secondly observing game time performance) Most “average” (not a dig - just not the superstars like Roschon for instance) kids develop after they get out of High School to their near potential. (But then again look at Roschon he has turned into the Incredible Hulk in college lol) When I was in HS a kid from our church got offered at Baylor (and several others but Baylor was his choice) because of his frame and athleticism (I think he was 6’5 190 lol) yes it was the 80s lol. Looking at him you might think swimmer but never OL (but he was in fact very good even at the HS level) I’d rather have a fast athletic large frame kid as a freshman at OL than a size beast but less athletic. (Even over current strength) Especially when you have a large selection of players and he doesn’t have to start as a true freshman.
JJ Watt was a 2 star TE out of HS
Fact: everyone on this forum knows all these things already — just commenting ^^^

IndianTaxPayer

100+ Posts
I believe Jansen Ware is the real deal
I would offer him a scholarship if I was a coach at a college. Solely based on height/weight ratio and speed/athleticism . (But secondly observing game time performance) Most “average” (not a dig - just not the superstars like Roschon for instance) kids develop after they get out of High School to their near potential. (But then again look at Roschon he has turned into the Incredible Hulk in college lol) When I was in HS a kid from our church got offered at Baylor (and several others but Baylor was his choice) because of his frame and athleticism (I think he was 6’5 190 lol) yes it was the 80s lol. Looking at him you might think swimmer but never OL (but he was in fact very good even at the HS level) I’d rather have a fast athletic large frame kid as a freshman at OL than a size beast but less athletic. (Even over current strength) Especially when you have a large selection of players and he doesn’t have to start as a true freshman.
JJ Watt was a 2 star TE out of HS
Fact: everyone on this forum knows all these things already — just commenting ^^^

So 30 scholarship players leave a year because of graduation or eligibility ends, leaving 55 scholarships available for FBS Divison 1 schools. The math because very difficult about bold statements, "If I was a coach".

Here is a great a article about the limited number of scholarships available in football alone. Other sports are even more limited than football.

Torino

500+ Posts
So 30 scholarship players leave a year because of graduation or eligibility ends, leaving 55 scholarships available for FBS Divison 1 schools. The math because very difficult about bold statements, "If I was a coach".

Here is a great a article about the limited number of scholarships available in football alone. Other sports are even more limited than football.

The transfer portal is out of control. The NCAA didn't project that so many students would transfer.

Last edited:

IndianTaxPayer

100+ Posts
The transfer portal is out of control. The NCAA didn't project that so many students would transfer.

That makes it even more interesting, a collegiate football player that is is the transfer portal from a junior college with 12+ months of a proper Strength & Conditioning Training Program. That walk-on from HS better hope his Academics earn him an Academic Scholarship or willing to get a student loan.

Usedtocould

1,000+ Posts
Something to think about that "punter you will let walk on". He could be maintaining a GPA of a 4.0 in is college classes and you NEED him on scholarship to keep your football teams combined GPA above the NCAA minimum GPA requirement. Those fast guys, big guys, or guys that can catch think grades don't matter. When NFL Team scouts are determining if a player is worth drafting they will ask someone at the college besides the coaches, "Is he committed to studying the playbook at the next level?"

Sometimes that punter that is a skillful, academically gifted Student-Athlete is more important than the other 15 OL on the team.
Dang now you’ve made my coaching job more difficult. !!! Lol. Just giving you a hard time. You’re the friend that takes everything super literally. We need your type around takes all kinds of minds.

Usedtocould

1,000+ Posts
Something to think about that "punter you will let walk on". He could be maintaining a GPA of a 4.0 in is college classes and you NEED him on scholarship to keep your football teams combined GPA above the NCAA minimum GPA requirement. Those fast guys, big guys, or guys that can catch think grades don't matter. When NFL Team scouts are determining if a player is worth drafting they will ask someone at the college besides the coaches, "Is he committed to studying the playbook at the next level?"

Sometimes that punter that is a skillful, academically gifted Student-Athlete is more important than the other 15 OL on the team.
I didn’t want to be guilty of the rampant “Punter Privilege”. And assume he’s the smartest guy on the team. We ll get a 26 year old Australian.

Usedtocould

1,000+ Posts
I’m getting Roschon to transfer to be my QB and he’s going to do the 4the down quick kick from the shotgun. So yes he gets a scholarship too.

IndianTaxPayer

100+ Posts
I’m getting Roschon to transfer to be my QB and he’s going to do the 4the down quick kick from the shotgun. So yes he gets a scholarship too.

Or he stays at UT in his current position and is drafted in the 5th or 6th round to transition play the slot receiver.

Or you can ask to transfer to another school he never wanted to play at and never plays QB in the NFL and the scouts begin to question if he is committed to the success on the Team or if it is about the ME of the team.

Good old days of the "Golden Traingle" from the 70s, 80s, and 90s that seem to never realize there ARE other parts of the country that have done a lot better with recruiting the talent away from the area to never return.

Usedtocould

1,000+ Posts
I don’t think anyone in his right mind could ever question Roschon’s commitment to the team. And I believe he could play QB in the NFL still and be a star at it even at this point.

NDNzeke

1,000+ Posts
I don’t think anyone in his right mind could ever question Roschon’s commitment to the team. And I believe he could play QB in the NFL still and be a star at it even at this point.
Completely agree. As has been the case with many PNG quarterbacks, was never really given a chance at the position. With that said, he has proved to be very good at the RB position, and I think he could also be successful at that position in the NFL as well as several other positions.

Usedtocould

1,000+ Posts
He’s in the 99th percentile in understanding the offensive concepts (blocking/ route running) he knows what the QB needs as far as timing outlet passing. When he does the “4th option” route his head snaps around like he’s expecting the pass to come to him. (Which they should do more) but so far the UT QBs would rather take a sack than put it in his hands to RAC the first down. I do wish he’d come to UH or anywhere for a year or two and play QB at this time he’s technically a JR next year due to the Covid unseen year. And could technically play three more seasons as a graduate

Usedtocould

1,000+ Posts
No ones going to not draft him as a position player just because if he were to play QB somewhere. The NFL does that all the time (QB is the most commonly moved position) safety to LB or other way around is probably second. Usually QB to WR like Greg Ward (in Canada now I think) or that guy from Baytown Randle El

Usedtocould

1,000+ Posts
Completely agree. As has been the case with many PNG quarterbacks, was never really given a chance at the position. With that said, he has proved to be very good at the RB position, and I think he could also be successful at that position in the NFL as well as several other positions.
I sat with his grandfather at a game (that weekday game in Livingston I believe a Monday) (after Harvey) he said “if they put him at defensive back he’d still be the best player on the field. “ He even said he was better at DB than at QB. I’d take 11 Roschons over taking any other 11 on the planet. (Me personally)

NDNzeke

1,000+ Posts
He’s in the 99th percentile in understanding the offensive concepts (blocking/ route running) he knows what the QB needs as far as timing outlet passing. When he does the “4th option” route his head snaps around like he’s expecting the pass to come to him. (Which they should do more) but so far the UT QBs would rather take a sack than put it in his hands to RAC the first down. I do wish he’d come to UH or anywhere for a year or two and play QB at this time he’s technically a JR next year due to the Covid unseen year. And could technically play three more seasons as a graduate

I think he could earn the starting QB position at UH fairly easily. Holgorsen is no fool!

IndianTaxPayer

100+ Posts

"4th option route" is a slot receiver. I am glad we agree. A Graduate student from UT provides better opportunities in society than a Graduate student at UH. Just stating facts based on college rankings, let alone the names of the schools. The average NFL career is about four years.

NDNzeke

1,000+ Posts
"4th option route" is a slot receiver. I am glad we agree. A Graduate student from UT provides better opportunities in society than a Graduate student at UH. Just stating facts based on college rankings, let alone the names of the schools. The average NFL career is about four years.
No question about the prestige/reputational advantage associated with staying at UT, and given his intelligence and high academic abilities I am sure that is factoring this into his thinking.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (0-0)
at
Klein Oak Panthers (0-0)

Friday, Aug. 30, 7:00PM

Klein Memorial Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores