Best Indian game you watched played

prepballfan

There's No Place Like The Reservation Friday Night
Staff member
My is the 1999 PN-G vs Lamarque game. They were number 1 in the state and the Indians beat them 26 to 6 I believe. I remember at one point in the game when the Indians drew a holding penalty on third down and instead of denying it and pushing us to fourth down and a long shot at a field goal. Price was so good they pushed us back to third and really long and long hit a pass for a touchdown. No one can forget the hit by Gholke that helped change the game.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
My favorite is an old one. First time to see Texas Stadium. The last game I was able to see with both parents. 1975 state championship win.

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
1977 game in the Astrodome...PN-G beat the SA Lee Rebels...Randy Ethridge returned the opening kickoff for a TD.

1999 game at Kyle Field...PN-G beat Schertz-Clements...the final drive of the game D. Long drove the Indians the length of the field for the winning TD.

2017 game at Stallworth Stadium...PN-G beat Crosby 72-69...RJ threw three or four bombs to Preston Riggs for TDs...RJ accounted for all 10 of PN-G's TDs.

Go Indians. Peace.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Really too many to list, but all old games. 1970-1993.

My historical base is much lesser than everyone back home. I moved away the last time in 1993 and, other than 1999, have not made it to all that many games since.

Let’s hear from the core fan base!

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
It’s so slow these days that I’m replying to my reply...

Thinking about this further, the fact that I have lived away from the PN-G area for more years than I lived there is downright eye opening. And a little frightening. Moral of that thought... Cherish each day because life goes by quickly. We’re only here for a flash and that goes by faster than we even realize. Grateful for my PN-G roots.

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
IndianFan, I am in the same boat. Time flies. You walk the halls of Taft Elementary, Groves Middle School, Woodlawn Jr. High, and PN-G High School thinking that you will have an abundance of time...and then...BOOM...thirty years later you are in your fifties watching your kids grow up and prosper. Time is non-renewable. Groves was a great place to be a child in the seventies and eighties. PN-GISD was a great place to be!

Go Indians! Peace.

Usedtocould

1,000+ Posts
I may have told this story before but I don’t get tired of it so.... the ‘75 Championship game changed my life. We were near the 50 yard line high up at Texas Stadium. And Permian had a biplane that flew over the hole in the roof several times with the word MOJO painted on the bottom wing. secondly they had a Santa Clause dressed in BLACK instead of red. And at one point in the pregame the other side chanted MOJO as they let off thousands of black and white balloons. I asked my mom (I was 5 and a half) “what is MOJO” she said very seriously and ominously “that’s their football god” I asked who is that? She said “well if it ain’t JESUS then it’s the DEVIL”. I spent the rest of the game thinking we were playing devil worshippers. But I loved football from them on. We always attended games my dad was the youth minister at FBC PN and usually followed by some sort of wacky event at the gym after the game. But that game put a new “seriousness” on the games. The other aspect was that we had JUST moved that fall to Texarkana (very traumatically for me) and got to see PNG for the first time since we left. (Again in 77)

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Then I remember the Plano game being SO DANG HOT because we were in the sun most of the game.

North Texas winds in Texas Stadium were brutally cold in ‘75. I don't remember as much about the temp in ‘77. Sadly the detailed memories are fading some. 40+ years ago!

Usedtocould

1,000+ Posts
I do an old bald guy came with us from Texarkana and had to buy a PNG hat because his head was cooking in the sun. Could have just been where we were sitting. Over to the side near end zone for that one seems like maybe we moved halfway in. lol.

benchwarmer53

My most exciting game was the state semifinal game in 1953 against Edinburg. We were trailing 14 to 7 late in the fourth quarter. I don't remember how much time was left on the clock but I think it was 5 minutes or less when we took possession in our own end of the field. I don't remember which yard line either but we scored without much time left on the clock to tie the game and won on penetrations 4 to 1.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
My most exciting game was the state semifinal game in 1953 against Edinburg. We were trailing 14 to 7 late in the fourth quarter. I don't remember how much time was left on the clock but I think it was 5 minutes or less when we took possession in our own end of the field. I don't remember which yard line either but we scored without much time left on the clock to tie the game and won on penetrations 4 to 1.
Good to hear from you benchwarmer. Great story.

Indian99

500+ Posts
Most exciting game watched - ‘96 game at Bridge City. If I recall, it was for the outright district championship. We scored a TD on 4th and goal to win the game 27-26.

Most exciting game played - has to be a tie between ‘99 vs LaMarque and Schertz Clemens.

LaMarque because we played a near perfect game, especially as a defense. They were faster and stronger, but we definitely wanted it more. Those boys did not know what hit them, literally.

Schertz Clemens because of the outcome - a chance at state. They were the closest matched team that we faced in shear heart and determination all year. Those boys got after it just as much as we did and were just as hard-nosed. I remember it being a dogfight on every down. That game could have honestly gone either way and we would’ve been just fine with the outcome because we knew they were just like us. Much respect to that team.

bandkid

Staff member
The best I’ve watched in person are the 2009 Central and 2017 Memorial games. The 2019 edition Mid-County Madness was up there, too. I’ve listened to some radio broadcasts of a few outstanding games as well.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Speaking of radio, does anyone else recall the major sponsor of a lot of the old PNG football broadcasts in the 70s? I don't remember the radio station but I think it was out of Beaumont.

NDNzeke

1,000+ Posts
If you were there (I was), the 75 state championship game would have to be the one unless you were around during the 50’s glory years (I wasn’t). By the same token, the Plano loss would have to be the most crushing loss, edging out the Stephenville loss based on the closeness of the game, the fact that it was our only loss of the season, and the fact that we seemed virtually unstoppable at the time of that game.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (0-0)
at
Klein Oak Panthers (0-0)

Friday, Aug. 30, 7:00PM

Klein Memorial Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores