Best Indian game you watched played

PNGIndian75

100+ Posts
Speaking of radio, does anyone else recall the major sponsor of a lot of the old PNG football broadcasts in the 70s? I don't remember the radio station but I think it was out of Beaumont.
I think you are talking about KLVI Radio. Listened to a lot of PNG Games on the 70's on it on my way back home from rodeos.

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
I would have never guessed Diamond Shamrock. I remember that brand, but not as much as Gulf Oil and Texaco. I do remember Dave Hofferth calling the playoff games in 1976 and 1977. He must have been fresh out of college and new to the Beaumont - Port Arthur area. He called games on KLVI for PN-G during 1976 and 1977. I remember hearing his voice. Where is Dave Hofferth now? He was a great play-by-play guy.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
I would have never guessed Diamond Shamrock. I remember that brand, but not as much as Gulf Oil and Texaco. I do remember Dave Hofferth calling the playoff games in 1976 and 1977. He must have been fresh out of college and new to the Beaumont - Port Arthur area. He called games on KLVI for PN-G during 1976 and 1977. I remember hearing his voice. Where is Dave Hofferth now? He was a great play-by-play guy.
We are all remembering the same. I still recall the Diamond Shamrock corporate ad that they played. It sounded very professional. I wish someone had a recording of one of those old broadcasts.

Indian99

500+ Posts

Dave Hofferth is now a sportscaster for KBMT I believe, been there for quite a while.

pngfanatic

100+ Posts
My choice for most exciting game comes from way back - when I was 11 years old. It wasn't a playoff game, but it clinched the first 4A championship for PNG. We played the Orange Tigers in the last game of the season. The Tigers had a half game lead going into the game (we had tied South Park 0-0). The game was won as time expired by a 5 yard halfback pass from Charlie Wallace to R.H. Wallace (no relation). The description of that play by Charlie in Down Trails of Victory is priceless. Apparently R.H. had hands of stone, but all the other receivers were covered. Charlie finally reluctantly threw the pass to R.H. as he was going down while being tackled by the Tigers. I had no idea all of this was going on at the time. All I knew was that R.H. caught the pass and we won 14-12. I still get excited when I think about that play - 60 years later. Charlie Wallace was my PNG hero from that point on. Side note - my Dad worked at Dupont in Orange and invited a couple from Orange to go to the game with us. They were supposed to come over to our house after the game, but were so upset that they left immediately after the game. At least that's how my Dad always told the story of that game.

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
My choice for most exciting game comes from way back - when I was 11 years old. It wasn't a playoff game, but it clinched the first 4A championship for PNG. We played the Orange Tigers in the last game of the season. The Tigers had a half game lead going into the game (we had tied South Park 0-0). The game was won as time expired by a 5 yard halfback pass from Charlie Wallace to R.H. Wallace (no relation). The description of that play by Charlie in Down Trails of Victory is priceless. Apparently R.H. had hands of stone, but all the other receivers were covered. Charlie finally reluctantly threw the pass to R.H. as he was going down while being tackled by the Tigers. I had no idea all of this was going on at the time. All I knew was that R.H. caught the pass and we won 14-12. I still get excited when I think about that play - 60 years later. Charlie Wallace was my PNG hero from that point on. Side note - my Dad worked at Dupont in Orange and invited a couple from Orange to go to the game with us. They were supposed to come over to our house after the game, but were so upset that they left immediately after the game. At least that's how my Dad always told the story of that game.

That's a great memory and story!

bandkid

Staff member

I have to ask. Do you remember the name of the couple from Orange? My dad is from Orange, worked at DuPont, and his mother and all of his uncles were graduates of the old Orange High. (My grandmother was actually in Lutcher Stark’s Bengal Guard.) Several of those uncles worked at DuPont back in the day, too.

pngfanatic

100+ Posts
I'm not sure if this is the correct spelling, but their last name was Degarmeaux. Oh and this was in 1961 for those not good at math. Plus I meant to say "first 4A district championship".

bandkid

Staff member
I'm not sure if this is the correct spelling, but their last name was Degarmeaux. Oh and this was in 1961 for those not good at math. Plus I meant to say "first 4A district championship".

No, that’s not them. Can guarantee you they wouldn’t have stuck around after watching PN-G win either, though. The PN-G branches of the family tree get gripes from the LC-M and WO-S branches about PN-G games at family events.

Indian99

500+ Posts
2009 Central OT game

I remember bringing my dad to that game, and when Central scored and we were down by two I looked at him and said, “Now all we need is to block this extra point and run it back to tie the game.” True story! Of course, after we actually did that I said, “Now all we need is for money to rain out of the sky!” Unfortunately my predictions only go so far.

PNGIndian75

100+ Posts
For me it was the PNG 72 - Crosby 69 bi-district game. Crosby had "Squirrel Williams" and PNG had enough to beat them in the end. Seemed like a touchdown on every possession for each team and the team that had the ball last wins the game. PNG had the ball last.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
For me it was the PNG 72 - Crosby 69 bi-district game. Crosby had "Squirrel Williams" and PNG had enough to beat them in the end. Seemed like a touchdown on every possession for each team and the team that had the ball last wins the game. PNG had the ball last.
That was definitely a no defense game from both teams!

hooks777

Yes, I couldn’t
Mine was my senior year... 75' state Championship Game
Hard to beat that one. I couldn’t agree more… I remember the chants of “ MOJO GUMBO” and then the folks from Permian and then most of their side start to sit down in disbelief!. I was only 5 then, but remember it like it was yesterday! Now I am 51 and am so proud that these young men and women are representing PNG with such grace and class! Keep up the good fight!

Xcrystalbeachbum

100+ Posts
My favorite was the 75 game against Kashmere in the Astrodome. That team was HUGE, did I say HUGE? And FAST. I remember their wide receivers were warming up pregame by catching the ball with one hand consistently. Etheridge had a huge run up the middle to seal the game and I knew after beating them that we would win state. Kashmere could have lined up with many college teams and beat them.

Funny story about that game...me and my buddy decided to write something witty on the back window of his hotrod Firebird. We came up with "If you are for Kashmere, you can RAM it". HaHa.
Not the smartest thing I have ever done.....
After the game a car load of highly agitated disappointed Kashmere fans pulled up next to us on the 610 Loop and began throwing beer bottles at us. His 140mph Firebird saved us......
Lesson learned.

Last edited:

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (0-0)
at
Klein Oak Panthers (0-0)

Friday, Aug. 30, 7:00PM

Klein Memorial Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores