Football - Offense

Torino

500+ Posts
Gene lost his wife in baby in that accident. He went back home to Garland and coached Garland for many years. We lost him last year.

I have no opinions on the Faircloth tenure. I have no clue why he left or as some seem to think was run off, if that was indeed the case. My opinion rests on the fact that Phil Danaher applied. I don't care if he used it as leverage to get something out of Calallen, when a legend applies, or shows an interest, you go balls to the wall to get them - see also Nick Saban.

As for people in Borger being upset with Mayfield, find one high school where some of the fans are not unhappy with the coach. I sat with Gary Joseph's father and some friends at the Katy/Manvel playoff game and there were people complaining about the Katy OC and wanting Gary to fire him.
Gene Mayfield was the architect of the Permian dynasty. Yes, there were a few lapses - Jack Mildren & Cooper come to mind, but they were the force in West Texas.

As for the steroid accusation, I had a few fraternity brothers that played for him. None used roids; if they had, Joe Bob Bizzell just might have been a little bigger. However, your steroid accusation set me off, so I shall bid you a FOND farewell and invite you to ignore any more posts I make if I do.

Last edited:

Torino

500+ Posts
Gene lost his wife in baby in that accident. He went back home to Garland and coached Garland for many years. We lost him last year.

I have no opinions on the Faircloth tenure. I have no clue why he left or as some seem to think was run off, if that was indeed the case. My opinion rests on the fact that Phil Danaher applied. I don't care if he used it as leverage to get something out of Calallen, when a legend applies, or shows an interest, you go balls to the wall to get them - see also Nick Saban.

As for people in Borger being upset with Mayfield, find one high school where some of the fans are not unhappy with the coach. I sat with Gary Joseph's father and some friends at the Katy/Manvel playoff game and there were people complaining about the Katy OC and wanting Gary to fire him.
Gene Mayfield was the architect of the Permian dynasty. Yes, there were a few lapses - Jack Mildren & Cooper come to mind, but they were the force in West Texas.

As for the steroid accusation, I had a few fraternity brothers that played for him. None used roids; if they had, Joe Bob Bizzell just might have been a little bigger. However, your steroid accusation set me off, so I shall bid you a FOND farewell and invite you to ignore any more posts I make if I do.

Torino

500+ Posts

Nick Saban didn't apply, so not sure about the reference. Would have been glad to have him. Danaher would have been hired in 2009 had he not withdrawn his name. Can't hire a man when he says he doesn't want the job.

Torino

500+ Posts
I agree about the fickleness of the Borger community. The football team didn't do anything substantial before or after Mayfield. Have worked in 5 communities, and Borger was the worst in all resepects.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
"None used roids;" Strong statement; I had fraternity brothers, too, and am certain they didn't confess all unless it came to women (and then, who could say what was true). My understanding is that most of the Odessa steroids were supplied by veterinarians.
Out of respect for a deceased coach, it seems best not to say things that cannot be proven. Anyone who has played the game knows that there are some players, not all, taking various drugs without coaches having any knowledge or part in it. Yes, even at the high school level.

prepballfan

There's No Place Like The Reservation Friday Night
Staff member
I think its time to consider Isaiah Nguyen for this list. I know many great RBs have come out of PNG but he lead a rushing attack to Dallas and now to the QFs thus far. The kid is one of the smartest runners in my time warching PNG he always finds the right lane to run through. He is becoming a legend before our eyes. A HOH type player.

pngfanatic

100+ Posts
I recently purchased PNG football game programs from 1958 and 1959 on eBay. Looking through those programs, I was reminded of a player who wasn't a big star in high school, but achieved greater success in college and the pros - Dwain Bean. He was the leading Missouri Valley conference rusher in 1962 and 1963 while at North Texas State. He was then drafted by the Green Bay Packers and ended up playing in the Canadian Football League for a couple of years. More info on him at Dwain Bean.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (0-0)
at
Klein Oak Panthers (0-0)

Friday, Aug. 30, 7:00PM

Klein Memorial Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores