Online Videos: Past Indian Bands at Marching Contest: 1977-1989

PNG NDN Fan

1,000+ Posts
Staff member

PNG NDN Fan

1,000+ Posts
Staff member
I have one from the Fall of '85, but whoever made the video had no clue what they were doing. The Sun on the other side of the field forced the aperture to close so much that all you see is a bright sun and a very very dark field. They should have blocked the Sun.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
How and why does the band style differ from the 1989 and earlier squads? Music, marching style? The recent style seems to lean more on the 'creative' side.

(Never participated in the marching band so I'm clueless. But I was first chair in junior high band class. ;D )

PNG NDN Fan

1,000+ Posts
Staff member
Just been the evolution of the art. We moved from military in the 70s (moving mainly east/west) to milicorp in the early 80s (east/west and north/south) to where we are today (north/south). The band wants to "win" too, and in order to try to compete at the highest level and try to advance in competition (district/regional/state), they need the creative shows. Judges just don't seem to care for for military style anymore.

IndianBandDude

The 1989 Indian Band has the most amazing sound in my opinion, i mean, there band had an amazing tone. I just wish it was the same now as it was a long time ago. :-\

NDNmom91

500+ Posts
IndianBandDude said:
The 1989 Indian Band has the most amazing sound in my opinion, i mean, there band had an amazing tone. I just wish it was the same now as it was a long time ago. :-\

Yes, they did! I was in both the band from '87-'91. It was an amazing time to be in the NDN Band! I have never really cared for the style of marching the band is using now. Almost all the bands we competed against used this style, but we were different and still ranked in the top bands in the state. Something must have happened with the judging to bring on the change, but from what I can tell, the band has not done near as well at competition since making the change. I know one thing that is lacking is the volume of the sound! I'm hoping that some changes can be made that will make them competitive again and bring back the sound that the NDN band was always known for. We can always hope. :)

PNG NDN Fan

1,000+ Posts
Staff member
The bands of Fall 1988 (state finalists) and Fall 1989 had some tremendous players. The Fall 1989 played some tough music.

I wish I had the Fall 1994 video when Kris Wadenpfuhl was Senior and played the Trumpet solo on La Suerte. The Fall 1996 show as also one of my favorites. They had half the I-ettes dressed in black to represent the aliens in "Independence Day" and I recall a scene were they were scattered all over the field.

The 90's were definately some of the greatest shows. I imagine part of was due to the enthusiasm level of the directors with their own kids coming through (Samantha and Betsy A, Kris and Karen W.) Not that they were not excited other times, but you can't help but want to do the best for your kids.

NDNmom91

500+ Posts
PNG Proud said:
We 76-ers feel left out. :(

Awww...don't feel left out! I got my inspiration to be in band, and play trumpet from my big bro, who was a '76-er ;)!! I was little, but I do remember watching him march and I wanted to be just like him, I thought he was so cool!!

NDN X

100+ Posts
Kinda partial to 80 and 81 marching contests, fall of 80 is when we went to Austin for state competition. So much fun!!

ChiWoWa

These videos bring back many fond memories from my high school days. We had some amazing marching shows back then. Thanks for taking the time to put them here.

phetonb

86ndn said:
No video from 1985??

At this moment I am uploading to YouTube the 1984 Marching contest video I have converted from VHS to DVD. The image quality is not great, the sound is good, but there is no Nuclear Detonation in the middle of it.

I am also uploading to YouTube the 1985 Marching contest video.

PNG Indian Fan, if you could add them to your string that would be awesome.

The Class of 1986 is having our 25 year reunion in a few weeks....I finally got our Senior year Marching contest video up on YouTube!

I just checked my upload progress.....don't look for them both to be there until late tonight. But they are on the way!!!

PNG NDN Fan

1,000+ Posts
Staff member
PNG Proud said:
Still hoping that someone can produce the 76' band video!

PLEASE! :hi:

Well, all I can say is that back in the mid-80's, we transferred everything we had on reel film ('77 to '84 contests) one Saturday afternoon to VHS at a local TV station. We did that so Mr Long could have a copy on VHS while the school retained the reels. I don't know what happened to older films, I have never seen them.

phetonb

The 1984 link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNObnWcTOiU

1985:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fTq0PfxEDQ

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (0-0)
at
Klein Oak Panthers (0-0)

Friday, Aug. 30, 7:00PM

Klein Memorial Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores