Online Videos: Past Indian Bands at Marching Contest: 1977-1989

phetonb

Justafan said:
Looking at the 1988 video, they sound so much louder than compairing todays band.

The 1988 band was at State Marching Contest, and the field was miked. That is why they sound so much louder. However, you are correct, the band in the late 70's through the 90's was much louder. We were bigger then, and we were taught to play with greater dynamics.

bandkid

Staff member
PNG NDN Fan said:
PNG Proud said:
Still hoping that someone can produce the 76' band video!

PLEASE! :hi:

Well, all I can say is that back in the mid-80's, we transferred everything we had on reel film ('77 to '84 contests) one Saturday afternoon to VHS at a local TV station. We did that so Mr Long could have a copy on VHS while the school retained the reels. I don't know what happened to older films, I have never seen them.

The old reels are in the band library, along with several VHS tapes. The reels go back way farther than '77, though. In fact, I think the earliest one I've seen was 1963. I could be wrong though.

I have no idea how those reels could be uploaded to Youtube.

PNG NDN Fan

1,000+ Posts
Staff member
Thanks for the update bamakid, the information I had was current as of 1985.

There are services out there ("Googlable") that can can transfer film (8mm, 16mm, etc) to digital. The other option is to play the video on a screen and then film it with a digital video camera. Not hi-tech but it can work - I used this method to transfer some 8mm family movies to DVD many years ago.

This would be a great project for the band Historian (if they still have that office) to head up. I would think that getting all band archives from film & VHS to digital should be priority as the years go on.

tferrier

I was wondering what happened to the films from the early 70s. I'd love to see those performances again. In 71-73, there were a lot of firsts for the band. First high school band to performing the rotating circles, first to perform the rotating diamonds and the first to march the entire block on the diagonal. Sweepstakes every year. Is there any way they can be posted?

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (0-0)
at
Klein Oak Panthers (0-0)

Friday, Aug. 30, 7:00PM

Klein Memorial Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores