Player Appreciation

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Congratulations to every 2023 PN-G Indian, but the seniors are due an extra measure of thanks for all they have done during their time at PN-G. Thank you for all the dedication, hard work and commitment that it took to persevere and succeed as PN-G Indians. Not only to the starters but also every player that didn't play as much as they would have liked. You will go into PN-G history as one of the best senior classes.

2023 PN-G Football Seniors
NoNamePos
6Chase JohnsonDB
7Sean GardinerLB/WR
13Kade SchexnaiderWR
17Landon EnglishWR
19Shea AdamsQB
20Kameron DroddyDB
22William PooleDB
24Maxwell ScroggsLB
26Dylan TalbertLB
28Reid RichardDB/WR
31Isaac SinetteDB
33Isaiah NguyenRB
34Fischer EinkaufH
36Jonathan CejaLB
38Julian GuidryLB
39Giovanni OcegueraK
47Jacob CabreraDL
48Jagger SonnierTE
54Kaden PellegrinOL
56Keegan FloresOL
64Miguel OliveraOL
75Mario MiguelOL
79Dillan RomeroOL
80Noah WashingtonWR
81Freddy TorresWR
90Dylan HicksTE
92Kole KidwellDL
96Hunter BallardDL

1704558263035.png

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Special recognition must go to several players.

I'd like to start by mentioning #33 Isaiah Nguyen. From the first time I ever noticed him during spring practice 2022 , it was obvious he was going to be a special running back. Those that are more familiar with JV play had already seen him in action.

Two years later he completed his PN-G career with over 3,400 yards rushing including over 2,000 this season. Isaiah is only the second 2,000 yard rusher in PN-G history. That included sixteen 100 yard+ games and four 200+ yard games. The final statistical details have not been collected, but his name and accomplishments will be forever prevalent in the PN-G history books. https://www.pngindians.com/football/all-time-rushing/

At only 5-7 165 pounds, he ran with the power and determination of a much larger back and possessed the quickness and speed to break off long runs on any play. He was exciting to watch. Nguyen was the engine of an offensive attack that scored 1,085 points over the last 32 games. And he played with a heart as big as Indian Stadium every time he put on the pads.

Thanks for the memories Isaiah. You could have been the MVP of that championship game, but regardless you will always be an MVP of the 2022-2023 Indians.

410239313_770260728449952_4067119075639385716_n.jpg

Usedtocould

1,000+ Posts
(He) Was the Jack-in-the-Box player of the game decided by the TV Announcers
That big YAC 3rd down conversion was a HUGE moment in the game
Could have been Bailey could have been Adams (or Nunley)
And I get it’s a 5A record for FGs (hats off to the snapper and holder) but you don’t name a FG kicker the MVP sorry.
I did feel like that was a dig. But maybe I’ll always on guard lol.

NDNzeke

1,000+ Posts
(He) Was the Jack-in-the-Box player of the game decided by the TV Announcers
That big YAC 3rd down conversion was a HUGE moment in the game
Could have been Bailey could have been Adams (or Nunley)
And I get it’s a 5A record for FGs (hats off to the snapper and holder) but you don’t name a FG kicker the MVP sorry.
I did feel like that was a dig. But maybe I’ll always on guard lol.

I can definitely see picking him because he was the teams leading scorer and even one miss would have been a huge problem for us (but as you noted in that case credit would also have to go to the snapper and holder). However, my first thought was Nguyen, followed by Adams and Bailey (with the latter two about equally valuable: how do you compare Bailey’s poise and accurate passing against Adam’s key receptions and rushes to include the winning TD?). Bottom line is that although certain players clearly stand out, it was truly a team effort to include so many players it is hard to name them all and a great coaching staff that had the team well prepared and for the most part made all the right decisions at the right times.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
We all know the truth about this game. All the narratives, complaints, excuses, digs and whatever other bull that is being spoken will fade away. 20-17 and a AAAAA state championship are forever.

I attended the game and watched the replay. There are more MVPs on this team than could be officially recognized. Hard working, blue collar players from a community that has faced personal adversity for a good many years. This game was just another step to achieving what was earned with hard work and believing in each other.

The offense, defense and special teams reached deep into their souls in the second half and, like Coach Joseph said in the postgame interview, relied on their training and practice, and their courage and will to prevail.

Fundamental football, hard work and preparation, focused effort and talent prevailed over a talented and capable defending state champion opponent. An opponent that much of the state were ready to declare as champion before the game even started.

MVPs of the game
PN-G offense
PN-G defense
PN-G Special Teams
PN-G coaching staff
PN-G band
PN-G fans

The Indian Nation dominated on all fronts, legendary or not. This team simply added to the rich and long football history of one of the very best football communities in the state. Well done.

1989NDN

2,500+ Posts
Staff member
The front three for PN-G were badass DUDES all season long. They played well together and may be the best DL in the history of PN-G, bar none. There were games where the other team's five or six OL could not block those three. I can tell you this...in the 4th quarter of the 2023 state championship game, SOC could not block them! Ask the SOC QB, he can tell you...#49, #47, and #94 put him on the ground. The SOC QB wasn't looking downfield. He was looking for #49, #47, and #94.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
The DCTF announcers mentioned that SOC’s offensive line weighed a combined 1,485 pounds. They were quite a bit taller and heavier than Cabrera, Hernandez and Fuentes. Didn’t matter. #4 Mason Wuenschel also rocked that line. 6-2 205 junior outside linebacker.

bandkid

Staff member
I thought there was something poetic about Shea running in the go-ahead touchdown. This kid lost his starting QB role after an injury early in the season, fought to come back, happily agreed to leave the sophomore QB in the starting job because it was the best thing for the team, and just tried to contribute wherever he could. Heck of an athlete, heck of a teammate. The fact that he got that opportunity was fitting.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (0-0)
at
Klein Oak Panthers (0-0)

Friday, Aug. 30, 7:00PM

Klein Memorial Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores