Realignment

WarDance

All I can say is Wow... way to go UIL for breaking up a good Region and placing most of Top 10 teams in the same Region.

Tough district for sure with Us, Lake Creek and Huntsville fighting for the the District Championship. I think playing pre-district games against 6A schools Klein Oak and La Porte will get us battle ready.

The rest of the district is an unknown...

Dayton & Nederland will have new head coaches.

Montgomery High had a rough season last year. Will they get back to the playoff teams they were in the past?

Splendora 1 - 9 last season in 4A D1 and they got smacked around by H-F and Vidor.

New Caney West Fork is a new school playing their first season of varsity ball.

Our bi-district game will be vs. a school in NE Texas. 2024 will be an interesting season, but PNG still has the weapons to go to battle.

NDNzeke

1,000+ Posts
All I can say is Wow... way to go UIL for breaking up a good Region and placing most of Top 10 teams in the same Region.

Tough district for sure with Us, Lake Creek and Huntsville fighting for the the District Championship. I think playing pre-district games against 6A schools Klein Oak and La Porte will get us battle ready.

The rest of the district is an unknown...

Dayton & Nederland will have new head coaches.

Montgomery High had a rough season last year. Will they get back to the playoff teams they were in the past?

Splendora 1 - 9 last season in 4A D1 and they got smacked around by H-F and Vidor.

New Caney West Fork is a new school playing their first season of varsity ball.

Our bi-district game will be vs. a school in NE Texas. 2024 will be an interesting season, but PNG still has the weapons to go to battle.

More important than ever to get one of the top 2 seeds and thereby avoid the ridiculous amount of travel that would otherwise be necessary for a first round game.

NDNzeke

1,000+ Posts
After extensive review of the realignment, it is my conclusion that it will probably be more difficult to reach the SC game (will probably have to beat SOC or equivalent in the regional final AND beat Lovejoy or equivalent in the semifinal), but it will probably be easier to WIN the SC game if we get there. This is based on the fact that the new versions of region 3 and 4 seem relatively weak. Virtually all of the teams that have been the strongest in recent years will now be in our half of the bracket. Of course, this does not mean that the SC game would be a cakewalk, as we could still end up facing the likes of a FBM, Liberty Hill, or San Antonio Alamo Heights in the final. However, I would not be very worried about those types of teams if we have already beaten the likes of a SOC AND the likes of a rejuvenated TD coached Lovejoy.

Last edited:

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
A broad perspective of regions.

Region 1 - Orange
Region 2 - Blue
Region 3 - Red
Region 4 - Green

Notice the SA mix of region 3 and 4.

1706886885796.png

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
The Houston area has very few area 5a-D2 schools in comparison to Dallas. All could have easily remained in Region 3 while several of the Dallas area schools would ideally have remained in Region 2.

1706887409799.png

Dallas Area

1706887509332.png

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Shifting Region 3 into San Antonio while prior Region 3 schools around Houston are removed.

1706888222712.png

NDNTime

1,000+ Posts
This is what Region II could look like. This is more illustrative than predictive but it shows what travel could look like.
View attachment 1286
In this scenario, if you finish 2nd in the district, you get SOC in round 2. Lake Creek is a dang good football team and can beat anyone on any given day. I wouldn't be penciling PNG in as the district champ just yet.

NDNzeke

1,000+ Posts

Region 1 - Orange
Region 2 - Blue
Region 3 - Red
Region 4 - Green

View attachment 1287

This map shows how screwed up this realignment is. Traditionally, the regions were roughly as follows: 1=NW 2=NE 3=SE 4=SW. This meant that the regional final was a true regional matchup, the semifinal was basically an east vs west matchup, and the SC was a north vs south matchup. Although this traditional arrangement has become progressively more distorted over time, along with temporary distortions that come and go during various alignment cycles, after this cycle the traditional pattern is turned on its head. In this regard, regions 1 and 4 are the closest to the traditional pattern, with region 1 often including eastern sections of the DFW area historically. However, region 2 is now (1) the most EASTERN region and (2) includes both northern and southern parts of the state. Region 3 is still southern but is no longer an eastern region, being wedged between the southwestern region (4) and the southeastern portion of the screwy new northeastern and southeastern region (2). The upshot is that schools in this new version of region 2 are screwed the most by this realignment due to the excessive travel in the playoffs created by a region that no longer has any north/south boundary. Additionally, most of the strongest 5aD2 teams in the state are now within this same region. Finally, it results in a situation where two teams from similar geographic areas (e.g., the golden triangle area and the houston area) could end up playing each other in the SC game (as an additional bonus, the game will be played in the DFW area!!!!).

Last edited:

bandkid

Staff member

Region 1 - Orange
Region 2 - Blue
Region 3 - Red
Region 4 - Green

View attachment 1287
Notice how Houston, San Antonio and the Metroplex are split between different regions (and that it's particularly egregious in San Antonio's case), but Austin is not.

I reiterate, a disproportionate number of high-ranking UIL officials live in Liberty Hill ISD.

NDNmom91

500+ Posts
To me, if they’re gonna allow schools to elect to play up or down a division in order to minimize travel, then they should also allow AT LEAST some sort of input from the schools on preferred district and/or region placement, especially for those like us and Nederland who get hit with extensive travel for District games AND playoffs.

Usedtocould

1,000+ Posts
This is what Region II could look like. This is more illustrative than predictive but it shows what travel could look like.
View attachment 1286
Man
I think you nailed it
I wouldn’t be surprised if this is 100% accurate
I do believe Texas High will probably go undefeated this year in district at least this will be their strongest year for a while
But we will beat them.

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (0-0)
at
Klein Oak Panthers (0-0)

Friday, Aug. 30, 7:00PM

Klein Memorial Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores