Realignment

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
Those days and earller were the glory days of Golden Triangle Football. When Beaumont had multiple teams in our district that were tough opponents. When Port Arthur had 2 good high school teams in our district. Beaumont French and TJ both appeared in the state championship game. When LC-M, Vidor, WO-S and even Bridge City were all teams we played. Plenty of opponents in the area in past years. Now PNG and Nederland remain as the only 5A-D2 schools in the area. And if Nederland keeps losing students they may need to drop to 4A-DI.

IMG_7067.jpeg

prepballfan

There's No Place Like The Reservation Friday Night
Staff member
Sorry fellow Indians been on turnaround for over a month now. Breaking my silence. So to start with I joined a couple of DFW HS Football sites after state to take the temperature after all of the controversy. When TD took the Lovejoy job those boards blew up with conspiracies about him taking a loaded team just to defeat SOC. They blew up. Then mysteriously he was moved to region 1. I am not sure yet but their is a purpose for what they did. Maybe they decided that both PNG and SOC cant make it three in a row. Not sure yet. I cant understand how they punished PNG and Nederland. Not just in district, but the long hauls for all of the playoff games right out of the gate. Someone like me who shift works normally would only miss the one Friday night a month that I work nights. Now I will miss every away game I work days as well. This will hurt our away support early in the season.

prepballfan

There's No Place Like The Reservation Friday Night
Staff member
Those days and earller were the glory days of Golden Triangle Football. When Beaumont had multiple teams in our district that were tough opponents. When Port Arthur had 2 good high school teams in our district. Beaumont French and TJ both appeared in the state championship game. When LC-M, Vidor, WO-S and even Bridge City were all teams we played. Plenty of opponents in the area in past years. Now PNG and Nederland remain as the I my 5A-D2 schools in the area. And if Nederland keeps losing students they may need to drop to 4A-DI.
What's funny is the magical numbers for 5A dII cut off right at the feet of Aledo. Literally by less than 10 kids.

bandkid

Staff member
I want us to keep things in perspective. It’s a 140 mile drive from Port Neches to Nacogdoches. It’s 131 miles from Port Neches to Huntsville. Those are the two most likely neutral sites for playoff games between PN-G and probable playoff opponents SOC, Midlothian Heritage, Marshall and Texarkana Texas.

By comparison, the drives from Port Neches to Katy and Cypress are 123 miles and 120 miles, respectively. We’ve played four playoff games in those locations the last two seasons.

As long as we’re one of the top two playoff seeds in our district the next two seasons, which I believe is very likely all things being equal, our playoff trips shouldn’t be too much longer than they’ve already been.

My bigger issue is the clear self interest at play in Liberty Hill. We probably won’t be playing at NRG Stadium the next two seasons, but I personally love the thought of a state semi-final at Kyle Field.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
As long as we’re talking conspiracies, one can wonder if activist minded individuals have pressured the UIL to punish PN-G for the Native American controversy or some other identity manufactured crisis. To remove Nederland and PN-G from region 3 is intentional for some reason other than location.

The logic of even mentioning the above makes at least as much sense as why they made that decision:

But that would be short sighted as having PN-G in the state playoffs is one of the best things that can happen every year.

bandkid

Staff member
As long as we’re talking conspiracies, one can wonder if activist minded individuals have pressured the UIL to punish PN-G for the Native American controversy or some other identity manufactured crisis. To remove Nederland and PN-G from region 3 is intentional all for some reason other than location.

The logic of even mentioning the above makes at least as much sense as why they made that decision:

But that would be short sighted as having PN-G in the state playoffs is one of the best things that can happen every year.
The UIL gets roughly 20% of the ticket revenue for every playoff game. PN-G is one of their biggest bread winners and they know which sport funds their paychecks. They also know the current Speaker of the Texas House of Representatives is from Jefferson County, used to have PN-G in his district, and trotted a PN-G helmet out on the front podium on the House floor before the 2022 championship game.

Lastly, they know the Indian mascot and its variants are among the most common mascot choices in Texas, and that there would be statewide (legislative) outrage if they tried anything. PN-G isn’t the only Texas high school that’s fought off the liberals on this front; look up Keller and Seminole. Jacksonville is hometown to one of the senior-most members of the Texas Senate (who happens to represent PN-G, Nederland and Dayton, too, FWIW). I can assure you, the UIL is not going anywhere near the mascot issue.

This is Liberty Hill politics. They’re mad we almost bought out their side of the Berry Centre.

Usedtocould

1,000+ Posts
Unfortunate for both our district and the Texas High district
THS always gets screwed on this issue
In 85 our bi district was Temple
Quite a distance
Played in Mesquite 180 miles away.
87 basketball our bi district was Killeen

NDNmom91

500+ Posts
Just my thought about the region 2 instead of region 3 is Liberty Hill has the Deputy Director of the UIL son playing for them. Just a coincidence are not.
Yeah, it definitely seems convenient that the teams who most likely pose the biggest threat to LH making it to the State Championship all ended up in the same district and moved to the other side of the playoff bracket! It’s just real hard not to think something fishy went on cause it makes NO sense…ugh!

90NDN

500+ Posts
As long as we’re talking conspiracies, one can wonder if activist minded individuals have pressured the UIL to punish PN-G for the Native American controversy or some other identity manufactured crisis. To remove Nederland and PN-G from region 3 is intentional for some reason other than location.

They definitely make a lot more cash when when PN-G is in the finals, so there decision to move us is very confusing and troubling (all the so called conspiracies surrounding the last election were true, just saying).

If we can continue the trend of the past 2 years, there is no reason why we couldn't have a dynasty much like SLC or even Austin Westlake have had in the past. They expected to be in the finals ..and it wasn't till T Dodge left that they started just being a good playoff team again vs a team that had the tools to win it all year in and year out. That must be the mindset ...but of course, you need to have the athletes to make that happen.

On a side note, while I loved BF, it did not seem that his approach to defense worked for whatever the reason. Granted, he had left a good foundation to work upon, but we instantly go to state for 2 yrs in a row once he was gone...there is no mistaking that...and the biggest difference was on the defensive side of the ball. If this trend continues, I think that is the mindset we will have.

benchwarmer53

Unfortunate for both our district and the Texas High district
THS always gets screwed on this issue
In 85 our bi district was Temple
Quite a distance
Played in Mesquite 180 miles away.
87 basketball our bi district was Killeen
In '52 and '53 bi district was against Temple. Back then they flipped a coin to see which school would be the location for the game. We lost the coin flip in '52 and won all three flips in '53. Played bi district, regional and state final in Port Neches.

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member

Winners & Losers of 2024 UIL Realignment​

South Oak Cliff/Port Neches-Groves

These two have matched up in the last two 5A-Division II state title games with SOC winning in 2022 and PNG returning the favor in 2023, many thought we’d see this matchup at AT&T Stadium for the third straight year. Instead the UIL shocked the entire state by shifting Port Neches-Groves and several other Southeast TX schools including Huntsville and Montgomery Lake Creek into Region II where the competition with SOC, Midlothian Heritage and Texarkana Texas High will be incredible come playoff time.

NDNzeke

1,000+ Posts

Winners & Losers of 2024 UIL Realignment​

South Oak Cliff/Port Neches-Groves

These two have matched up in the last two 5A-Division II state title games with SOC winning in 2022 and PNG returning the favor in 2023, many thought we’d see this matchup at AT&T Stadium for the third straight year. Instead the UIL shocked the entire state by shifting Port Neches-Groves and several other Southeast TX schools including Huntsville and Montgomery Lake Creek into Region II where the competition with SOC, Midlothian Heritage and Texarkana Texas High will be incredible come playoff time.

(1) Everyone in our new district was a loser for multiple reasons based on this realignment

(2) PNG was affected much more adversely than SOC

IndianFan

Administrator
Staff member
(1) Everyone in our new district was a loser for multiple reasons based on this realignment

(2) PNG was affected much more adversely than SOC
Yes. Every former region 3 team placed in region 2 was on the receiving end of a questionable decision. Again, it appears that preference is given to metro areas. It seems they want to align probability of making a deep run with population numbers. Districts like my own, Cypress Fairbanks ISD, are literally split into 2 regions. The potential exists for two CFISD teams to face off for a state championship. Teams like PN-G, Nederland and Texas High are on the outer edges in both location and UIL consideration.

It doesn’t matter. Grind in the offseason, improve each day and the wins will come regardless of the UIL.

Last edited:

Usedtocould

1,000+ Posts
Not saying it will happen
But this year Texarkana has 3 teams that COULD compete for the championship
In 5A2 Texas High
4A2 Pleasant Grove
3A1 Liberty Eylau (since they moved down)

THS and LE have the athletes it’s all about attitude

NEXT GAMEDAY

PN-G Indians (0-0)
at
Klein Oak Panthers (0-0)

Friday, Aug. 30, 7:00PM

Klein Memorial Stadium

PN-G INDIANS FOOTBALL

I could not be more proud of our team and our community. The spirit here is unmatched! I am so lucky to be a part of it and to wear the purple and white! The journey of this football season, with these coaches and our players, will stay with me forever.  -- PN-G Head Coach Jeff Joseph

Scores